Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Managing Geeks
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Managing Geeks Post 302377836 by zxmaus on Saturday 5th of December 2009 12:19:05 PM
Old 12-05-2009
Managing Geeks

Hi,

I recently found this article in computerworld and I think it is very true - at least in my company ... what do you guys think - is the author right? Is it ignorant management that makes us IT people seem to be anti-social and weird?

Please share your thoughts

Kind regards
zxmaus

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

managing users

I need to setup several accounts on a solaris system. (passwd,shadow,group) My question is : How can I create a group which can access a machine, but only in certain directories? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

best solution for managing many nameservers

Hello, i was searching around for good solution for managing many nameservers to add the records on the slave servers and update them and if possible some web-based manegment for non-experianced customers. anyone has an idea where can i find such solution? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bashar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing nodes???

Does anyone know something about this? I have no idea what it means and how to do it. but if anyone can give me and explanation and also point me to a website, i'd really appreciate it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

4. Programming

error in managing linklist

I have used link list in my program to operate on set of values the operations that i am doing : add , delete from link list when i am deleting the intermidiate or last value it is not giving any error but when i am deleting the 1 st value then program hangs can anyone suggest me the reason (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhakti_2025
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Managing FileSystems on Solaris

Hello. I have got Solaris 10 8/07 on x86 installed successfully using CDs. While I had inserted 1st CD - I created 2 new filesystems also. But now after entering into Solaris - How do I manipulate sizes or created/delete filesystems by going to terminal? Thank you! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
15 Replies

6. Solaris

Problems managing user

I installed Solaris 10 in an old Dell computer given to me. The filesystem is ZFS (Default). The problem is that after logging in as root (first login) I wanted to add a user : n2jkw. I added the user at /export/home/n2jkw BTW, /export/home is where the 150G extra Hard Drive is mounted to.... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: n2jkw
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr help - managing strings

Hi guys, I need to use regular expressions in linux and I'm not quite experience in that field, maybe someone could give me some help with it. Basically, I need to take a text like this. A234321=http://www.google..... a normal URL But, I need to take the string starting at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
0 Replies

8. Programming

Managing and using PTSes

Hello. I need to simulate a few serial links (doing a simulation of an application for a robot) and found socat which, at least with minicom, is working flawlessly. I would really like to make pts static: ie same numbers between reboots, and automatic (not me opening terminals and leaving... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erupter
2 Replies
snsplit,v0.3.8(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 snsplit,v0.3.8(8)

NAME
snsplit - split an article stream into individual articles SYNOPSIS
snsplit [-r] [field... -] prog... DESCRIPTION
snsplit reads an article stream from descriptor 0 and splits it into separate articles, invoking prog... on each, with the article ava- iable on descriptor 0. This is useful as a quick-and-dirty way of filtering an article stream. The incoming article stream is expected to be in wire format, with lines ending in CRLF, leading dots doubled, and delimited by a dot on a line by itself. The article presented to prog... will have lines that end in a bare newline, will have all header lines unfolded, leading dots will be unstuffed, and the article will be terminated by end-of-file. ARGUMENTS
prog... is the program (with arguments) to run on each article. If prog... exits with any kind of failure, snsplit aborts. field...- are optional header field names. If these are specified, the value of the first header field of that name will be exported into the environment. This field... list must be terminated by the hyphen. See also ENVIRONMENT below. OPTIONS
-r Expect input articles in rnews batch format instead. ENVIRONMENT
snsplit sets some environment variables. If the environment already contains these variables, they will be overwritten. SEQUENCE If already set to a positive value, it is incremented for the first article. If it isn't set, is set to one for the first article. Thereafter it is incremented for each subsequent article. The value is always a 6-digit number with leading zeroes, and it can roll over. BYTES contains the size of the current article. HEAD_LINES The number of lines in the head of the article, excluding the blank separator line. BODY_LINES The number of lines in the body of the article, excluding the blank separator line. FLD_FIELD If any fields are specified on the command line, where field is the name of an article header field, then FLD_FIELD will be set to the value of field, where FIELD is the same as field but with lower case characters changed to upper case, and all hyphens changed to underscores. Confusing? If field is message-id, then FLD_MESSAGE_ID will be set to the value of the first Message-ID field in the current article, if there is one. EXIT CODES
snsplit exits 0 on success, 1 on usage error, 2 on system error, and 3 on article format error. If prog... exits with other than 0, snsplit will also exit that value. N.B. Harold Tay snsplit,v0.3.8(8)