Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk and sed, how to exclude certain characters Post 302377626 by gaurav1086 on Friday 4th of December 2009 12:57:19 PM
Old 12-04-2009
hello tlarkin..
if you simply have to remove colons ":" from the input why not use tr.
#echo <your input> | tr -d ':'
### done ###

P.S. I HATE MACS Smilie
Regards Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and awk backslash characters

Hi, I have a variable read from user input: PROFILESROOTDIR="\\194.185.82.188\CMSRepository\EncodingProfiles" awk -F"=" -v gr=$PROFILESROOTDIR '/ProfilesRootDirectoryFromXOEMachine/{$2=gr;}1' OFS="=" $CFGFILE > "${CFGFILE}_new" For this awk to work properly I need to replace in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some characters with SED or AWK

Hi, I have the following example string: today_is_a_good_day.txt The character "_" inside the string can sometimes be more or less. The solution for every string equal the count of "_" should be alway the rest after the last underline character. Result: day.txt I want to use awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: climber
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude characters in echo command please help

Hi all, I wrote one code and i face some difficulties to exclude some characters from the echo command more specifically the last command is echo $a "${RESULT}" >> results_data_srcip the results which i have taken are: nfcapd.200908250000 -.352228 nfcapd.200908250005 -.345085 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draxmas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk , Sed Print last 4 numeric characters

Hello All, I have been searching and trying this for a bit now. Can use some assistance. Large 5000 line flat file. bash, rhel5 Input File Sinppet: Fri Oct 30 09:24:02 EDT 2009 -- 1030 Fri Oct 30 09:26:01 EDT 2009 -- 73 Fri Oct 30 09:28:01 EDT 2009 -- 1220 Fri Oct 30 09:30:01 EDT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting characters with sed,perl,awk

Input: :: gstreamer :: xine-lib :: xine-lib-extras Output should be: gstreamer xine-lib xine-lib-extras How can it be done with sed or perl? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @#!$*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk grep, that will only get the line with more characters.

Is there a command for sed and awk that will only sort the line with more characters? #cat file 123 12345 12 asdgjljhhho bac ss Output: asdgjljhhho #cat file2 11.2 12345.00 21.222 12345678.10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-05-19 DH_COMPRESS(1)