Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Thread count for a process id Post 302377607 by jim mcnamara on Friday 4th of December 2009 11:42:38 AM
Old 12-04-2009
What OS?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

List of Thread IDs of a process

Hello, Can some one tell how to read the thread IDs of the current process in Sun Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. regards, Murali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmurali
0 Replies

2. Solaris

thread count using top

I am running a multithreaded program which creates 10 threads and works away. However, when I use top to monitor my program whilst it is running, it only shows 4 under the thread count! Can anyone explain if this is in fact the number of threads running in my process... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: supahoop
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get Thread information from process

Hello all im trying to build small script in tcsh that will monitor some process that are making some api calles to some server . first of all im trying to find way to see how many threads each process is using , and else how can i print each Thread id . can it be done ? ( using sunOs ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to attach an xterm to a process/thread ?

Hi folks, I would like to know how to hook up an xterm to another process. Here is a high level view of what I am looking for 1. Main program starts 2. It creates an new xterm window 3. It then forks a second process & passes the xterm handle to it 4. The second process uses the second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RipClaw
4 Replies

5. Programming

Need the PID of a process in a thread

How do I run a process from a C++ p_thread and obtain its PID? Right now I am doing in a p_thread: system("ampl method.run"); and into the main function (after running the thread mentioned before): sleep(5); //Just to be sure that the thread is executing the ampl command system("ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riccollado
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread count

Hi, I have a log file in which there are plenty of threads. i want to count the number of unique threads.Here thread is tid value. My Logfile looks like this-- Wed May 20 05:22:53.993 2009 Morocco Standard Time INFO: pid 2172 tid 688: 17: 10106931:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process and thread

i want to know a difference between process and thread,give a program to tell the difference (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the process/thread running on which core

I use top -H -p 1256 to show process 1256, and then press "f" then press "j" to display it is running on which core, is there a better mothed, I want to be automated to get this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
Thread::Semaphore(3perl)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				  Thread::Semaphore(3perl)

NAME
Thread::Semaphore - Thread-safe semaphores VERSION
This document describes Thread::Semaphore version 2.12 SYNOPSIS
use Thread::Semaphore; my $s = Thread::Semaphore->new(); $s->down(); # Also known as the semaphore P operation. # The guarded section is here $s->up(); # Also known as the semaphore V operation. # Decrement the semaphore only if it would immediately succeed. if ($s->down_nb()) { # The guarded section is here $s->up(); } # Forcefully decrement the semaphore even if its count goes below 0. $s->down_force(); # The default value for semaphore operations is 1 my $s = Thread::Semaphore->new($initial_value); $s->down($down_value); $s->up($up_value); if ($s->down_nb($down_value)) { ... $s->up($up_value); } $s->down_force($down_value); DESCRIPTION
Semaphores provide a mechanism to regulate access to resources. Unlike locks, semaphores aren't tied to particular scalars, and so may be used to control access to anything you care to use them for. Semaphores don't limit their values to zero and one, so they can be used to control access to some resource that there may be more than one of (e.g., filehandles). Increment and decrement amounts aren't fixed at one either, so threads can reserve or return multiple resources at once. METHODS
->new() ->new(NUMBER) "new" creates a new semaphore, and initializes its count to the specified number (which must be an integer). If no number is specified, the semaphore's count defaults to 1. ->down() ->down(NUMBER) The "down" method decreases the semaphore's count by the specified number (which must be an integer >= 1), or by one if no number is specified. If the semaphore's count would drop below zero, this method will block until such time as the semaphore's count is greater than or equal to the amount you're "down"ing the semaphore's count by. This is the semaphore "P operation" (the name derives from the Dutch word "pak", which means "capture" -- the semaphore operations were named by the late Dijkstra, who was Dutch). ->down_nb() ->down_nb(NUMBER) The "down_nb" method attempts to decrease the semaphore's count by the specified number (which must be an integer >= 1), or by one if no number is specified. If the semaphore's count would drop below zero, this method will return false, and the semaphore's count remains unchanged. Otherwise, the semaphore's count is decremented and this method returns true. ->down_force() ->down_force(NUMBER) The "down_force" method decreases the semaphore's count by the specified number (which must be an integer >= 1), or by one if no number is specified. This method does not block, and may cause the semaphore's count to drop below zero. ->up() ->up(NUMBER) The "up" method increases the semaphore's count by the number specified (which must be an integer >= 1), or by one if no number is specified. This will unblock any thread that is blocked trying to "down" the semaphore if the "up" raises the semaphore's count above the amount that the "down" is trying to decrement it by. For example, if three threads are blocked trying to "down" a semaphore by one, and another thread "up"s the semaphore by two, then two of the blocked threads (which two is indeterminate) will become unblocked. This is the semaphore "V operation" (the name derives from the Dutch word "vrij", which means "release"). NOTES
Semaphores created by Thread::Semaphore can be used in both threaded and non-threaded applications. This allows you to write modules and packages that potentially make use of semaphores, and that will function in either environment. SEE ALSO
Thread::Semaphore Discussion Forum on CPAN: http://www.cpanforum.com/dist/Thread-Semaphore <http://www.cpanforum.com/dist/Thread-Semaphore> threads, threads::shared MAINTAINER
Jerry D. Hedden, <jdhedden AT cpan DOT org> LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-19 Thread::Semaphore(3perl)