Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting all empty files in sub directories with a command Post 302377526 by EAGL€ on Friday 4th of December 2009 09:20:26 AM
Old 12-04-2009
Thanks Franklin, it gave bad option warning for -empty. However cant i display the empty files before or after they are removed, like the above AWK command?

Code:
server1{root}/acb>find . -empty -exec rm -f {} \;
find: bad option -empty

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting log files only in particular directories

Hi My problem is i have to remove some log files in specific named directories on a regular basis using shell scripts. What i want my shell script to do is i give the shell script some listing of directories from which to delete all log files recursively. Can anyone please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameervs
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What/How to check before deleting files and directories

Hi there, I have a some directories containing web files that are old, and I need to remove them. I know that there might be sym links and hyperlinks pointing to these old directories. If that's the case, then I'll have to fix the links before deleting these old directories to avoid broken... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvochan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the empty files

as of our requiremnt some x no of files will be created from a third party tool ,out of them one or two files will be empty i.e size is 0. so i want to remove those files which are empty. naming of the files which are created will be like this abc_.txt 0 size abc_1.txt 4000 size abc_2.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting empty files in a directory

Hello Gurus, I want to delete only empty files (files with 0 bytes) at once from the local directory. Rightnow I need to go through all the files one by one manually and check the empty files before deleting them. Is there any unix command that finds and deletes empty files in a directory?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting empty directories using find

Hello, I'm submitting this thread, because I was looking a way to delete empty directories using find and I found a thread from 2007 that helped me. I have worked from that threat, but I found that the command sent would analyze original directory and may delete it to. I have come up with expanded... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files in sub directories!

Hello out there, I want to setup a crontab feature to remove temporary pdf files from sub directories that are older than 30 days. I want to presevere the directory structer though. I got this far for a command. Will this remove the pdf's in subdirectories or just directly under the pdf folder? If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting files and directories when the file system reaches the threshold

Hi Can someone assist in writing a script. I have a filesystem named /sybase in my aix lpar. When this filesystem becomes 94% full all the files and directories under /sybase/logs should be deleted immediately. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error mes- sages. Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck(8) remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck(8) it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?'' A positive response will cause fsck(8) to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. DIAGNOSTICS
badsect refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. SEE ALSO
bad144(8), fsck(8) HISTORY
The badsect command appeared in 4.1BSD. BUGS
If more than one of the sectors in a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD