Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A twisted feature of sort when called in awk Post 302377470 by radoulov on Friday 4th of December 2009 06:55:47 AM
Old 12-04-2009
Quote:
Yet a result like such, however, is not theoretically expected. Since sort appears within the loop body, it should sort each time when a name-tel pair is printed
The output is correct because this is how the AWK pipes work: in this case AWK opens the pipe once, during the first iteration of the loop. If I understand correctly, you would expect it to work this way:

Code:
% awk 'BEGIN {
  n = split("c a b", t)
  while (++i <= n) {
    print t[i] | "sort"
  close("sort")
   }
  }'
c
a
b

Note that the close command is inside the loop.

But it works like this:

Code:
% awk 'BEGIN {
  n = split("c a b", t)
  while (++i <= n)  
    print t[i] | "sort"
  }'
a                  
b
c

The AWK redirection is a source of confusion too, because it works the same way (you don't need >> to append).

Hope this helps.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk sort help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I dont know what I do wrong, I am trying to create shell programming database: I have this command first: && > $fname ... echo $Name:$Surname:$Agency:$Tel:$Ref: >> $fname then I have echo " Name Surname Agency Tel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeht
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort in AWK

Hi, I usually use Access to sort data however for some reason its not working. Our systems guys and myself cannot figure it out so ive tried to use AWK to do the sorting. The file is made up of single lines in the format ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eknryan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort

input file abc1 abc23 abc12 abc15 output abc1 abc12 abc15 abc23 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK new line feature getting nullified in outlook

Hi, I am using the below code to send mail to users showing the details of errors, and this happens in a loop till all the lines are validated. printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort String using awk

Hi, I need help to sort string using awk. I don't want to use sed or perl as I want to add this functionality in my existing awk script Basically I have a variable in AWK which is string with comma separated value. I want to sort that string before using that variable in further processing for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky.community
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk call in bash function called with arugments not working, something lost in translation?

Hello, I have this awk code in a bash script to perform a find and replace task. This finds one unique line in a file and substitutes the found line with a replacement. #! /bin/bash # value determined elsewhere total_outputs_p1=100 # file being modified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)