Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Validate an IP address - Return to menu Post 302377407 by Scrutinizer on Friday 4th of December 2009 02:56:30 AM
Old 12-04-2009
OK I brushed it up a little bit so that is handles ".1.1.1" :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -x
oldIFS=$IFS
while : ; do
  IFS=$oldIFS
  echo "Enter IP address"
  read quad

IFS=.
  set -- $quad

if [ $# -ne 4 ]; then
    echo "Must have 4 parts"
    continue
  fi

for oct in $1 $2 $3 $4; do
    echo $oct | egrep "^[0-9]+$" >/dev/null 2>&1
    if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then
       echo "$oct: Not numeric"
       continue 2
    else
       if [ "$oct" -lt "0" -o "$oct" -gt "255" ]; then
          echo "$oct: Out of range"
          continue 2
       fi
    fi
  done

echo "$quad" | grep "\.$" >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then
    echo "Trailing period - invalid"
    continue
  fi

if [ -n $1 ] || [ $1 -eq 0 ]
  then
    echo "First octet must not be zero (0)..."
    continue
  fi

# if we're here, we're validated
  echo "$quad validates OK!"
  exit 0
done

Not my cup of tea though. Check CFA Johnson's solution:

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-04-2009 at 04:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

pine username return address

hello all I am happily using pine but unhappily sending email as username@where.my.mail.works instead of ****@my.college.edu well, my username on my computer is one thing, but my username on my college account (**** here) is different. what I'm trying to do is use the college server for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plusran
1 Replies

2. Programming

Return IP address

Not sure whether this is an appropriate request, however, Using C++ code I'm running a unix command from the pc that needs the IP address of the PC in order to set the DISPLAY variable. The code is written using Builder C++ (Borland) but I'm having difficulty finding what functions / header... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return IP address

Hi, If my IP address is 192.29.0.131 I want output _0_131 # /sbin/ifconfig | grep "inet addr" | grep 192 | cut -d "." -f3 0 I have tried the above and I get third digit. I want forth digit as well separated by underscore. Or is there any better approach? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Hostname and Return IP Address

Dear Experts, I have a text file on my itanium box which contains list of nearly 1000 hostnames. I do not have the IP Address of them. I want read each entry from the text file and want to do a nslookup to the DNS Server and get the IP Adresses and put them in another file in the format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate an IP address

hi I need a simple script to do the following. I need to check the user input for 1. quad dotted notation. 2. check that all of the inputs are numeric and within 1-255 range. Could someone please help me? I tried to use egrep to check for dotted notation. quad=1.1.1.12 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabina
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

7. Programming

validate IPV6 address in windows using c++

I know there is a function inet_tpon for unix platforms to validate ipv6 addresses.But i need an equivalent of windows.When i use this function with the header file <winsock2.h> the visual studio 2005 on win2003 issues an error saying identifier not found :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guru13
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get return code from mutt if an address is invalid/undeliverable from Unix shell script

I am using mutt on ksh Unix to send emails to addresses plucked from the database. If the "To:" email address is not longer valid and so the email is not sent to the "To:" recipient, but is sent to the valid cc address, I need to be able to get an error code returned to the shell script so that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzuber
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat: If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com. How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default? Thank you in advance! nz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
install-menu(1) 					      Debian GNU/Linux manual						   install-menu(1)

NAME
install-menu - Process a menu method and generate the menu files for a window manager or a menu-aware application. DESCRIPTION
update-menus(1) computes the list of menu entries and passes it in turn to the menu methods in /etc/menu-methods/. The task of a menu meth- ods is to generate menus for a specific window manager. install-menu provides a generic and customizable way to do that. The documentation of the install-menu definition language is available in the Debian Menu manual, a local copy being available in /usr/share/doc/menu/html. SYNOPSIS
install-menu [-vh] [--remove] <menu-method> Read menu entries from stdin in update-menus --stdout format and generate menu files using the specified menu-method. Normally used in menu method scripts as #! /usr/bin/install-menu. OPTIONS
-h,--help Show the help message and exit. --remove Remove the menu files instead of generating them. -v,--verbose Output messages about what the program is doing. COPYING
install-menu is distributed under the term of the GNU General Public License version 2, or (at your option) any later version. AUTHOR
Written by Joost Witteveen <joostje@debian.org>. Now maintained by Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>. SEE ALSO
update-menus(1), menufile(5), /usr/share/doc/menu/html Debian Project 28 November 2005 install-menu(1)