Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Jumpstart basic question
Operating Systems Solaris Jumpstart basic question Post 302377295 by reborg on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 04:39:56 PM
Old 12-03-2009
Yes. In order to get an ipaddress the server has to provide

mac -> hostname -> ip

You need a hostname not a fully qualified name which is what you get if you don't specify it in the hosts file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

basic question about UNIX?

With not knowing absolute nothing about Unix can anyone let me in on how it is setup and how easy is it to learn?I'm using MML Commands and know that it is completely different but if I start learning commands in UNIX is that a good way to get started? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoliOCon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Jumpstart Question: Update Image?

Hi everyone, We have a T5240 and noticed we were having issues booting the system using our jumpstart server (it seems as though we don't have the correct drivers for the nxge NIC) We thought we needed to update our jumpstart server image 9/10 Solaris SPARC image. Now I'm still learning... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Jumpstart Question

Hi Guys, I am little bit confused about jumpstart on solaris 10. Do you need the mac address for each system you intend to jumpstart? If you need the mac address, how will you get it? Say your server is in another location and you want to jumpstart it, how will you do it? Clarification on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies
LWRES_GETNAMEINFO(3)						       BIND9						      LWRES_GETNAMEINFO(3)

NAME
lwres_getnameinfo - lightweight resolver socket address structure to hostname and service name SYNOPSIS
#include <lwres/netdb.h> int lwres_getnameinfo(const struct sockaddr *sa, size_t salen, char *host, size_t hostlen, char *serv, size_t servlen, int flags); DESCRIPTION
This function is equivalent to the getnameinfo(3) function defined in RFC2133. lwres_getnameinfo() returns the hostname for the struct sockaddr sa which is salen bytes long. The hostname is of length hostlen and is returned via *host. The maximum length of the hostname is 1025 bytes: NI_MAXHOST. The name of the service associated with the port number in sa is returned in *serv. It is servlen bytes long. The maximum length of the service name is NI_MAXSERV - 32 bytes. The flags argument sets the following bits: NI_NOFQDN A fully qualified domain name is not required for local hosts. The local part of the fully qualified domain name is returned instead. NI_NUMERICHOST Return the address in numeric form, as if calling inet_ntop(), instead of a host name. NI_NAMEREQD A name is required. If the hostname cannot be found in the DNS and this flag is set, a non-zero error code is returned. If the hostname is not found and the flag is not set, the address is returned in numeric form. NI_NUMERICSERV The service name is returned as a digit string representing the port number. NI_DGRAM Specifies that the service being looked up is a datagram service, and causes getservbyport() to be called with a second argument of "udp" instead of its default of "tcp". This is required for the few ports (512-514) that have different services for UDP and TCP. RETURN VALUES
lwres_getnameinfo() returns 0 on success or a non-zero error code if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
RFC2133(), getservbyport(3), lwres(3), lwres_getnameinfo(3), lwres_getnamebyaddr(3). lwres_net_ntop(3). BUGS
RFC2133 fails to define what the nonzero return values of getnameinfo(3) are. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") Copyright (C) 2000, 2001 Internet Software Consortium. BIND9 Jun 30, 2000 LWRES_GETNAMEINFO(3)