Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Custom output on FIND
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Custom output on FIND Post 302376648 by ashok.g on Wednesday 2nd of December 2009 03:43:26 AM
Old 12-02-2009
Thank You. It's working!

---------- Post updated at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ----------

When I try the command
$find /home/Ashok -name ENV.doc
I am able to get the straight forward result. But, when I tried the same, finding the file starting from the root directory as
find / -name ENV.doc
I am getting several messages like
Code:
find: /home/portal: Permission denied
find: /home/itmuser: Permission denied
/home/Ashok/All About Linux and Unix/ENV.doc
find: /home/mou: Permission denied
find: /home/netcool: Permission denied

I know I am getting this becase I am a non root user. But I want to supress all those Permission Denied messages and want to get the straight forward message as above listed.

Thank you,

Last edited by pludi; 12-02-2009 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output of find

I have a find command that finds all files in a folder older than 6 days i.e find . -name "hourly.*" -mtime + 6 This gives me an output /oralogs/.snapshot/hourly.0 /oralogs/.snapshot/hourly.1 /oralogs/.snapshot/hourly.2 I would like the output to be hourly.0 hourly.1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeerajSingh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output of find command

Hi, I am confused about the output of find command. Please see the two find commands below. When i put "*.c" i get lots of files. But when i put *c only i get only one file. Any answer?? $ find . -name "*c" ./clarify/cheval/hp_server/rulemanager/rulemansvc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting 'find' output...

Hi all, why does one version of this command work but not the other? - This file already exists with 644 mod permissions - I am logged in as d269836, no su rights. - Box is 'SunOS' running bash I think; but runs ksh scripts OK. This one works: find /users/d269836 -type f -name "*.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan-e
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Format Output

Hi, I wanna format the output in find to be like this : NUM SIZE TYPE NAME 1 942080 DIR ./a/b/CaChE.xyz 2 888832 FIC ./a/b/core.1234 3 389120 FIC ./a/b/core.12 4 229376 FIC ./xxx/xyz.bak.cache I don't know if its possible. For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naminator
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Output of Custom package scripts to terminal

Hi, I am doing some testing with creation of depots on HP-UX systems (11.11). Want to display some echo statements based on the processing during checkinstall, pre & postinstall scripts on the terminal. The echo statements are getting directed to /var/adm/sw/swagent.log I want to display... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to output custom characters in different order

Need a script to print a set of characters in different combination. What's the key to accomplish this. e.g charset: "Abcdefghij1" without quotes. block 1: "Abcd" block 2: "efg" block 3: "hij1" I need this script to change the order of the characters and print it to stdout e.g print out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaonline
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output find to array

Hi I'm trying to write a shell script which finds all the .zip files in a given directory then lists them on the screen and prompts the user to select one by entering a number e.g. The available files are: 1. HaveANiceDay.zip 2. LinuxHelp.zip 3. Arrays.zip Please enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zX TheRipper Xz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom wget output

The below hides the messy commands of wget #!/bin/bash cd 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget' wget -O getCSV.txt http://172.24.188.113/data/getCSV.csv progressfilt () { local flag=false c count cr=$'\r' nl=$'\n' while IFS='' read -d '' -rn 1 c do if $flag ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awking custom output

i have data that can look like this: echo "Master_Item_Service_is_down=0_njava_lang_NoClassDefFoundError=0_njava_lang_OutOfMemoryError=1_nemxCommonAppInitialization__Error_while_initializing=0_nINFO__Stopping_Coyote_HTTP_1_1_on_http_8080=7_nThe_file_or_directory_is_corrupted_and_unreadable=0_n" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

LS -T Output in find

I have prepared a script with ls -t to fetch latest file and compare with duplicates i use below ls -t *xml |awk 'BEGIN{FS="_"}{if (++dup >= 2) print}' However for large size folder ls command not working. so i tried with find ./ -type f \( -iname "*.xml" \) | sort |awk 'BEGIN{FS="_"}{if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
2 Replies
HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1) 				      General Commands Manual					   HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1)

NAME
hal-find-by-property - find device objects by property matching SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-property [options] DESCRIPTION
hal-get-property finds device object in the HAL device database by looking at device properties. For more information about both the big picture and specific HAL properties, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --key The name of the property. --string String value of the property --verbose Verbose output. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version. RETURN VALUE
If devices matching the given property are found each UDI (Unique Device Identifier) is printed on stdout and the program exits with exit code 0. If no devices are found or an error occured, the program exits with a non-zero exit code. BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. SEE ALSO
hald(8), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), dbus-send(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1)