Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a string with new line Post 302376606 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 1st of December 2009 10:33:53 PM
Old 12-01-2009
Code:
$
$ echo "val1 or val2 or val3 or" | tr -s ' or ' '\n'
val1
val2
val3
$
$ echo "val1 or val2 or val3 or" | perl -ne 'chomp; s/ or[ ]*/\n/g; print'
val1
val2
val3
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in a file with command line parameter

Hello, I am trying to replace a string with a paramter given along with the script. I am replacing application1 to application2 with the script: ./change_app.sh application2 change_app.sh: #!/bin/ksh grep $1 applications.dat 2>&1 >/dev/null echo $1 file=pckage.new sed 's/Name:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string replacing

hii, i need a unix command which replaces all occurrences of a substring within a string with another substring. My solution: string="plalstalplal" sub1="al" sub2="mlkl" echo sed 's/$s2/$s3/g' < s1 > p i want to know how to read the variables s2 and s3.. thaks a lot bye (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priya_9patil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string in nth line

Hello All, How to replace a string in nth line of a file using sed or awk. For Ex: test.txt Line 1 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 Line 2 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4 Line 3 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST5 Line 4 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST6 Line 5 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST7 i want to go to 4th line of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in multiple subdirs to a new string??

I have following set of dirs: /dir1/dir2/subdir1 file1 file2 /dir1/dir3/subdir1 file4 file5 /dir1/dir4/subdir1 file6 file7 All of these files have a common string in them say "STRING1", How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing a string with another string in a txt file

Dear all, I have a file like below. I want to replace all the '.' in the 3rd column with 'NA'. I don't know how to do that. Anyone has an iead? Thanks a lot! 8 70003200 21.6206 9 70005700 17.5064 10 70002200 . 11 70005100 19.1001 17 70008000 16.1970 32 70012400 26.3465 33... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replacing string

Hi All, I have below requirement: I need to read each line in file.txt and replace string starting from position 9 to 24 {111111111111111,222222222222222,333333333333333} by common string "444444444444444" and save file. File.txt: 03000003111111111111111 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smalode
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies
Class::Gomor::Hash(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Class::Gomor::Hash(3pm)

NAME
Class::Gomor::Hash - class and object builder, hash version SYNPOSIS
# Create a base class in BaseClass.pm package My::BaseClass; require Class::Gomor::Hash; our @ISA = qw(Class::Gomor::Hash); our @AS = qw(attribute1 attribute2); our @AA = qw(attribute3 attribute4); our @AO = qw(other); # You should initialize yourself array attributes sub new { shift->SUPER::new(attribute3 => [], attribute4 => [], @_) } # Create accessors My::BaseClass->cgBuildAccessorsScalar(@AS); My::BaseClass->cgBuildAccessorsArray(@AA); sub other { my $self = shift; @_ ? $self->{'other'} = [ split(/ /, shift) ] : @{$self->{'other'}}; } 1; # Create a subclass in SubClass.pm package My::SubClass; require My::BaseClass; our @ISA = qw(My::BaseClass); our @AS = qw(subclassAttribute); My::SubClass->cgBuildAccessorsScalar(@AS); sub new { shift->SUPER::new( attribute1 => 'val1', attribute2 => 'val2', attribute3 => [ 'val3', ], attribute4 => [ 'val4', ], other => [ 'none', ], subclassAttribute => 'subVal', ); } 1; # A program using those classes my $new = My::SubClass->new; my $val1 = $new->attribute1; my @values3 = $new->attribute3; my @otherOld = $new->other; $new->other("str1 str2 str3"); my @otherNew = $new->other; print "@otherNew "; $new->attribute2('newValue'); $new->attribute4([ 'newVal1', 'newVal2', ]); DESCRIPTION
This class is a subclass from Class::Gomor. It implements objects as hash references, and inherits methods from Class::Gomor. GLOBAL VARIABLE
See Class::Gomor. METHODS
new (hash) Object constructor. This is where user passed attributes (hash argument) are checked against valid attributes (gathered by cgGetAttributes method). Valid attributes are those that exists (doh!), and have not an undef value. The default is to check this, you can avoid it by setting $NoCheck global variable (see perldoc Class::Gomor). cgBuildIndices This method does nothing. It only exists to make it more easy to switch between Class::Gomor::Array and Class::Gomor::Hash. cgBuildAccessorsScalar (array ref) cgBuildAccessorsArray (array ref) See Class::Gomor. cgGetIndice (scalar) This method does nearly nothing. It only returns the passed-in scalar parameter (so the syntax is the same as in Class::Gomor::Array). It only exists to make it more easy to switch between Class::Gomor::Array and Class::Gomor::Hash. cgClone [ (scalar) ] You can clone one of your objects by calling this method. An optional parameter may be used to create multiple clones. Cloning will occure only on the first level attributes, that is, if you have attributes containing other objects, they will not be cloned. cgFullClone [ (scalar) ] This method is the same as cgClone, but will clone all attributes recursively, but only if they are subclassed from Class::Gomor. So, objects created with other modules than Class::Gomor::Array or Class::Gomor::Hash will not be cloned. Another thing to note, there is no catch for cycling references (when you link two objects with each others). You have been warned. cgDumper Will return a string as with Data::Dumper Dumper method. This is less useful for hashref objects, because they already include attributes names. SEE ALSO
Class::Gomor AUTHOR
Patrice <GomoR> Auffret COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2004-2009, Patrice <GomoR> Auffret You may distribute this module under the terms of the Artistic license. See LICENSE.Artistic file in the source distribution archive. perl v5.10.1 2009-05-23 Class::Gomor::Hash(3pm)