Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting columns by list or file Post 302376515 by rdcwayx on Tuesday 1st of December 2009 02:22:57 PM
Old 12-01-2009
put your sample file, identifier file and desired output here please.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific columns from a file

Hi Friends, I want to delete specific columns from a file. Say my file content is as follows: "1","a","ww1",1234" "2","b","wwr3","2222" "3","c","erre","3333" Now i want to delete the column 2 and 4 from this file. That is I want the file content to be: "1","ww1" "2","wwr3"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: premar
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting rows & columns form a csv file

Hi , I want to delete some rows & columns from file. can someone please help me on this? Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: code19
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting columns from CSV file

Hi All, Am working on perl script which should delete columns in existing CSV file. If my file is : AA,BB,CC,DD 00,11,22,33 00,55,66,77 00,99,88,21 AA,BB... are all my headers can come in any order (e.g AA,CC,BB...) and rest are values. I want to delete column CC... Can anybody help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print columns in a file by number list in another file

This should follow with my last post but I think it's better to start a new one. Now I have a list of numbers stored in pos.txt: 2 6 7 . . . n . . . And I need to extract (2n-1, 2n) columns from matrix.txt: ind1 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R ... ind2 B C D E F G H... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zoho
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a space delimited text file

I have a space delimited text file with 1,000,000+ columns and 100 rows. I want to delete columns 2 through 5 (2 and 5) included from the text file. How do I do that? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a tab delimited text file?

I have a tab limited text file with 10000+ columns. I want to delete columns 6 through 23, how do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in Deleting columns and Renaming Mutliple columns in a .Csv File

Hi All, i have a .Csv file in the below format startTime, endTime, delta, gName, rName, rNumber, m2239max, m2239min, m2239avg, m100016509avg, m100019240max, metric3min, m100019240avg, propValues 11-Mar-2012 00:00:00, 11-Mar-2012 00:05:00, 300.0, vma3550a, a-1_CPU Index<1>, 200237463, 0.0,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific columns

Hi group, Can you please tell how to delete specific columns from a file. I know something like awk -F, '{ print $1" "$2" "15 }' input.txt > output.txt will delete all other columns. But this is in a way to copy some particular columns. But is there any other way to select just some... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitra
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a list of words from a text file

Hello, I have a list of words separated by spaces I am trying to delete from a text file, and I could not figure out what is the best way to do this. what I tried (does not work) : delete="password key number verify" arr=($delete) for i in arr { sed "s/\<${arr}\>]*//g" in.txt } >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hawk4520
5 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD