Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arithmetic: how to??
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Arithmetic: how to?? Post 302376430 by radoulov on Tuesday 1st of December 2009 10:51:41 AM
Old 12-01-2009
Sure.

Code:
cat file[12] |   # concatenate the content of file1 and file2
  tr '\t' '\n' | # translate every tab into a newline
    paste -sd+ | # paste the incomming input serialy (-s) as it was one file at a time, delimiter is + (-d)
      bc         # pass the data to bc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time arithmetic

Can anyone help please. I am writing a kourne shell script and I am unsure how to do the following: I have extracted a time string from a logfile, and I have another time string I want to compare it to to see if it's later than the time I'm comparing with. i.e. expectedSLA="23:00:00", ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csong2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use wc -l with arithmetic expression?

Folks, I am wondering that i can use something like this in one line. For example, $((cat filename > wc -l) / 2) It doesn't work; how to get it work using command substitution? Moreover, is there any option for wc -l not to return filename after the line counts? wc -l filename would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic Operators

Hello, I have a list of 'inputs' and i want to convert those on the second list named 'Desired Outputs', but i don't know how to do it? Inputs Desired Outputs 1 2 94 4 276 8 369 10 464 12 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filda
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic on timestamps

Hi Friends, please advise on shell script to add two time stamps for example : a=12:32 b=12:00 c=a+b=00:32 please help me to find shell script to add to two time stamps, as i need to convert time from EST to GMT or SST to prepare status of jobs in unix and to specify estimated time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Arithmetic ?

Hello Experts, In my shell I need to perform some simple subtraction on a value returned as a result of the "wc" command. The code: scanFromLine="100" ## This is returned as string as a result of some operation totalLines=`wc -l "${latestLogFile}" | awk '{print $1}'` ## eg: 200 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
pnmscalefixed(1)					      General Commands Manual						  pnmscalefixed(1)

NAME
pnmscalefixed - scale a portable anymap quickly, but less accurate DESCRIPTION
pnmscalefixed is the same thing as pnmscale except that it uses fixed point arithmetic internally instead of floating point, which makes it run faster. In turn, it is less accurate and may distort the image. Use the pnmscale man page with pnmscalefixed. This man page only describes the difference. pnmscalefixed uses fixed point 12 bit arithmetic. By contrast, pnmscale uses floating point arithmetic which on most machines is probably 24 bit precision. This makes pnmscalefixed run faster (30% faster in one experiment), but the imprecision can cause distortions at the right and bottom edges. The distortion takes the following form: One pixel from the edge of the input is rendered larger in the output than the scaling factor requires. Consequently, the rest of the image is smaller than the scaling factor requires, because the overall dimensions of the image are always as requested. This distortion will usually be very hard to see. pnmscalefixed with the -verbose option tells you how much distortion there is. The amount of distortion depends on the size of the input image and how close the scaling factor is to an integral 1/4096th. If the scaling factor is an exact multiple of 1/4096, there is no distortion. So, for example doubling or halving an image causes no dis- tortion. But reducing it or enlarging it by a third would cause some distortion. To consider an extreme case, scaling a 100,000 row image down to 50,022 rows would create an output image with all of the input squeezed into the top 50,000 rows, and the last row of the input copied into the bottom 22 rows of output. pnmscalefixed could probably be modified to use 16 bit or better arithmetic without losing anything. The modification would consist of a single constant in the source code. Until there is a demonstrated need for that, though, the Netpbm maintainer wants to keep the safety cushion afforded by the original 12 bit precision. pnmscalefixed does not have pnmscale 's -nomix option. 18 November 2000 pnmscalefixed(1)