Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mv command for sub-directories Post 302376137 by jlliagre on Monday 30th of November 2009 05:40:43 PM
Old 11-30-2009
Try that:
Code:
(cd A; tar cf - .)|(cd B; tar xf -)

It creates an archive of all files and directories in A and extract it on the fly in directory B.

Last edited by jlliagre; 12-01-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: removed duplicate post

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to list a only sub-directories

provide me the command to list all the subdirectories from the /home (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to stop sub directories being counted?

I'm trying to count the number of directories in a folder but I don't want to count the sub directories. So far I have this: find -type d | wc -l Is there a parameter to stop counting sub directories ? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultima
5 Replies

5. AIX

Exclude Directories in my tar command

Hi, im having some issues after i execute the next command: tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz this creates the desired "test.tar.gz" file, but whe i try to open it it says "tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create 2 directories in one command

Hi how can i create 2 directories in two different directories ($HOME and $PWD) with 1 command? dir 1 in $HOME and dir2 in $PWD (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run getfacl command only on directories

bash on RHEL 5.9 i have directory with several subdirectories within it. I want to find the ACL for all the directories and subdirectories within it. i need to run getfacl on all directories and subdirectories (not regular files ) in a loop. How do I do this ? Or , is there another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_pascal
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with 'mv' command and directories

I am taking a intro to unix. This question wants me to utilize the 'mv' command to change the left diagram to the right tree diagram. For the question I am in the home directory. I just can't seem to write the command properly any help is greatly appreciated! *edit* the tree diagram I tried to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qazxsw123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use the cut command to only print the directories?

How would I use ls -l | cut to just print the directories part from the ls -l command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
virt-copy-in(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-copy-in(1)

NAME
virt-copy-in - Copy files and directories into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-copy-in -a disk.img file|dir [file|dir ...] /destination virt-copy-in -d domain file|dir [file|dir ...] /destination WARNING
Using "virt-copy-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-copy-in" copies files and directories from the local disk into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. You can give one of more filenames and directories on the command line. Directories are copied in recursively. The final parameter must be the destination directory in the disk image which must be an absolute path starting with a "/" character. EXAMPLES
Update "/etc/resolv.conf" in a guest: virt-copy-in -d MyGuest resolv.conf /etc Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-copy-in -d MyGuest skel /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "copy-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-copy-in(1)