Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file Post 302376039 by skinnygav on Monday 30th of November 2009 11:49:43 AM
Old 11-30-2009
Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file

Hi,

how could you go about removing words that begin with a certain character.

assuming that this character is '-' I currently have

Code:
echo "-hello" | sed s/-/""/

which replaces the leading dash with nothing but I want to remove the whole word, even if there are multiple words beginning with '-'

thanks

skinny

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file

How can i add a character(#) in the beginning of every line in a .dat file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cool Coder
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove repeating pattern from beginning of file names.

I want a shell script that will traverse a file system starting at specific path. And look at all file names for repeating sequences of and remove them from the file name. The portion of the name that gets removed has to be a repeating sequence of the same characters. So the script would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z399y
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to remove numbers from beginning of txt file

Hello. I have the following issue: my txt file has the following format: train/dr4/fklc0/sx175.txt 0 80282 Severe myopia contributed to Ron's inferiority complex. train/dr4/fklc0/sx355.txt 0 42906 Dolphins are intelligent marine mammals. train/dr4/fklc0/sa2.txt With the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: li_bi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all occurrences of a character at the beginning of a string

Hi there, i need some help to remove all occurrences of a certain character at the beginning of a string. Example: my string is 00102030 and i want to remove all zeros from beginning of string so the result is 102030 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove words that contain 3+ of the same character in a row?

Hello, I am looking for a way to remove words from a list that contain 3 or more of the same character. For example lets say the full list is as follows ABCDEF ABBHJK AAAHJD KKPPPP NAUJKS AAAHJD & KKPPPP should be removed from this list as obviously they contain AAA and PPPP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove certain lines from file based on start of line except beginning and ending

Hi, I have multiple large files which consist of the below format: I am trying to write an awk or sed script to remove all occurrences of the 00 record except the first and remove all of the 80 records except the last one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)?

Dear All, How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)? I am facing problem while re-sizing the image by using ImageMagick. Two dots in the file name are causing problem. ImageMagick is skipping such image with a dot . in the beginning, like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View a file and count all words beginning with specificletter

I am trying to write a command and need to count all the words within the file which begin with the letter S I have run this command $ grep '^' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l 0 $ grep '^' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l 1 When I remove the wc -l I see the output as below: $ grep '^'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
border(3XCURSES)					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					  border(3XCURSES)

NAME
border, box, wborder - add a single-byte border to a window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int border(chtype ls, chtype rs, chtype ts, chtype bs, chtype tl, chtype tr, chtype bl, chtype br); int wborder(WINDOW *win, chtype ls, chtype rs, chtype ts, chtype bs, chtype tl, chtype tr, chtype bl, chtype br); int box(WINDOW *win, chtype verch, chtype horch); DESCRIPTION
The border() and wborder() functions draw a border around the specified window. All parameters must be single-byte characters whose rendi- tion can be expressed using only constants beginning with ACS_. A parameter with the value of 0 is replaced by the default value. +--------------------------------------------------------------+ | Constant Values for Borders | |Parameter Default Constant Default Character | |verch ACS_VLINE | | |horch ACS_HLINE - | |ls ACS_VLINE | | |rs ACS_VLINE | | |ts ACS_HLINE - | |bs ACS_HLINE - | |bl ACS_BLCORNER + | |br ACS_BRCORNER + | |tl ACS_ULCORNER + | |tr ACS_URCORNER + | +--------------------------------------------------------------+ The call box(win, verch, horch) is a short form for wborder(win, verch, verch, horch, horch, 0, 0, 0, 0) When the window is boxed, the bottom and top rows and right and left columns overwrite existing text. PARAMETERS
ls Is the character and rendition used for the left side of the border. rs Is the character and rendition used for the right side of the border. ts Is the character and rendition used for the top of the border. bs Is the character and rendition used for the bottom of the border. tl Is the character and rendition used for the top-left corner of the border. tr Is the character and rendition used for the top-right corner of the border. bl Is the character and rendition used for the bottom-left corner of the border. br Is the character and rendition used for the bottom-right corner of the border. win Is the pointer to the window in which the border or box is to be drawn. verch Is the character and rendition used for the left and right columns of the box. horch Is the character and rendition used for the top and bottom rows of the box. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
add_wch(3XCURSES), addch(3XCURSES), attr_get(3XCURSES), attroff(3XCURSES), border_set(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), stan- dards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 border(3XCURSES)