Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Another IFS post, [ bourne SH only ] ? Post 302375986 by radoulov on Monday 30th of November 2009 09:45:10 AM
Old 11-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.house
Not sure what you're up to - but, in short, bash does not equal sh, at least not necessarily ... while on all of my (Debian) Linux boxes, sh is a link to bash, in all of my CygWin shells, sh is sh and bash is bash (!).
This is on my Cygwin:

Code:
% uname
CYGWIN_NT-5.1
% type -a sh
sh is /usr/bin/sh
sh is /bin/sh
% /usr/bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.49(22)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
% /bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.49(22)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Yes, it's often the case on GNU systems.
Just to add that when invoked as sh, bash has a slightly different behavior.

From man bash:

Code:
If  bash  is  invoked  with  the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup
       behavior of historical versions of sh as  closely  as  possible,  while
       conforming  to the POSIX standard as well.  When invoked as an interac-
       tive login shell, or a non-interactive shell with the  --login  option,
       it  first  attempts  to read and execute commands from /etc/profile and
       ~/.profile, in that order.  The  --noprofile  option  may  be  used  to
       inhibit  this  behavior.  When invoked as an interactive shell with the
       name sh, bash looks for the variable ENV, expands its value  if  it  is
       defined,  and uses the expanded value as the name of a file to read and
       execute.  Since a shell invoked as sh does not attempt to read and exe-
       cute  commands from any other startup files, the --rcfile option has no
       effect.  A non-interactive shell invoked with  the  name  sh  does  not
       attempt  to  read  any  other  startup files.  When invoked as sh, bash
       enters posix mode after the startup files are read.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the IFS variable

Hi all, Ok os heres my situation. I have created a database style program that stores a persons info (name,address,phone number etc.) in a file ("database"). after i read in all the values above, i assign them to a line variable: line="$name^$address^$phonenum" >> phonebuk as you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djt0506
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IFS variable

How can I set the value for IFS variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on IFS command!

Hi! I am working in korn shell. I want to reset the dimiliter for the set command to "|" but instead of a command prompt return I am getting something as below After issuing the command I am getting this....as if the shell is expecting something else. Can anybody suggest what's the problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding IFS=

hi i am a learner can some explain "export IFS=$(echo "\n\t\a")" i am not able to understand the functionality please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and IFS

Hi, This is out of curiosity: I wanted to extract year, month and date from a variable, and thought that combining read and IFS would help, but this doesn't work: echo "2010 10 12" | read y m d I could extract the parts of the date when separated by a -, and setting IFS in a subshell: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphinou
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use IFS in this scenario?

Given the scenario like this, if at all if have to use IFS on the below given example, how it should be used. IFS=/ eg: /xyz/123/348/file1 I want to use the last slash /file1 . So can anyone, suggest me how to pick the last "/" as a IFS. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop and IFS?

Hi, while ; do echo "Please enter " read enter yyyy=${enter:0:4} mm=${enter:5:2} dd=${enter:8:2} result=`validateDate $yyyy $mm $dd` When does the loop keeping repeating till?? till 1 is equal to 1? what does this mean "${enter:0:4}" .The 0 and 4 part?? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid22
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested ifs

hi I keep getting an error with this nested if statement and am getting the error unexpected end of file, can anyone help me as to why this wont execute? #!/bin/bash #script to check wether the -i -v statements run correctly removeFile () { mv $1 $HOME/deleted }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash IFS

I am using bash and resetting IFS as below when reading the command line arguments. I do this so I can call my script as in Ex1. Ex1: ./synt2d-ray3dmod.bash --xsrc=12/20/30 This allows me to split both sides so that when I do "shift" I can get 12/20/30 What I do not understand is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)