Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reboot loop
Operating Systems Solaris Reboot loop Post 302375707 by jlliagre on Sunday 29th of November 2009 04:09:30 AM
Old 11-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFullerMalv
The articles at:
Solaris Things: ZFS Root on Solaris Part 2
and
talk about using a ZFS filesystem for root but indicate it is not as straight forword as sticking with UFS
The first article predates ZFS boot integration in the installer. Current Solaris 10 installation is as straightforward whether ZFS or UFS is used.

---------- Post updated at 10:09 ---------- Previous update was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaer
It's either controller or backplane.

Last thing I did was reinstall UFS on a single disk. This time it came to the login prompt, ten seconds later: fault message from the driver, boom.
What Solaris release are you installing ?
Can you post the full kernel panic message ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reboot

Hi all, Quick question. Does anyone know what is the compination of buttons that I have to press to stop the start up so I can bring the system in a single user mode? I use HP Vis 9000 Thanks alot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guest100
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding last Reboot

All, Does anybody know of a Unix command or file name where I can find out when the Unix box was last rebooted? We're using HP-UX 10.2. Thanks, PP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Positive Parrot
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reboot after Panic

I've got htis message on our sun U60 machine: "Reboot after panic:errID 0x000004eff........." ,this message have been issued on the /var/adm/messages file & cause system rebooting randomly. Any comment. Thanks, --Nikk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

4. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to reboot ?

Hi What is the best way to reboot a Linux computer? i) Press the power switch ii) type 'init 6' as any user, then enter the root password when prompted iii) Pour metal filings in the top of the computer. iv) su to root then type 'init 6' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

7. Solaris

X2200 in reboot loop & mounting ZFS drive on other boxes

So I was patching a Solaris 10 U08 X86 X2200 box in preparation for an Oracle upgrade. Rebooted the box because the patches failed and the box will not boot successfully. I need to back up the zones on the 2 drives before going further. I pulled the drives and attempted to mount them on my Ubuntu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh reboot in a loop?

Hi folks. I'm trying to get the following script working for rebooting a bunch of clients. Up to now I've been using PSSH, but when they all startup again at the same time I get a few mount problems. So, I'm trying to stagger the reboot command. I know reboot will depend on what's running at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
3 Replies
UEFI(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   UEFI(8)

NAME
UEFI -- Unified Extensible Firmware Interface bootstrapping procedures DESCRIPTION
The UEFI Unified Extensible Firmware Interface provides boot- and run-time services to operating systems. UEFI is a replacement for the legacy BIOS on the i386 and amd64 CPU architectures, and is also used on arm64 and ia64. The UEFI boot process loads system bootstrap code located in an EFI System Partition (ESP). The ESP is a GPT or MBR partition with a spe- cific identifier that contains an msdosfs(5) FAT file system with a specified file hierarchy. Partition Scheme ESP Identifier GPT C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B MBR 0xEF The UEFI boot process proceeds as follows: 1. UEFI firmware runs at power up and searches for an OS loader in the EFI system partition. The path to the loader may be set by an EFI environment variable. If not set, the default is /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. The default UEFI boot configuration for FreeBSD installs boot1.efi as /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. 2. boot1.efi locates the first partition with the type freebsd-ufs, and from it loads loader.efi. 3. loader.efi loads and boots the kernel, as described in loader(8). The vt(4) system console is automatically selected when booting via UEFI. FILES
/boot/boot1.efi First stage UEFI bootstrap /boot/boot1.efifat msdosfs(5) FAT file system image containing boot1.efi for use by bsdinstall(8) and the bootcode argument to gpart(8). /boot/loader.efi Final stage bootstrap /boot/kernel/kernel default kernel /boot/kernel.old/kernel typical non-default kernel (optional) SEE ALSO
vt(4), msdosfs(5), boot(8), gpart(8) HISTORY
UEFI boot support first appeared in FreeBSD 10.1. AUTHORS
UEFI boot support was developed by Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@FreeBSD.org>, and Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@FreeBSD.org>. The FreeBSD Foundation sponsored portions of the work. CAVEATS
EFI environment variables are not supported by loader(8) or the kernel. boot1.efi loads loader.efi from the first FreeBSD-UFS file system it locates, even if it is on a different disk. boot1.efi cannot load loader.efi from a ZFS(8) file system. As a result, UEFI does not support a typical root file system on ZFS configura- tion. BSD
October 17, 2014 BSD