Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ways to eliminate Zombies?
Top Forums Programming Ways to eliminate Zombies? Post 302375688 by Corona688 on Saturday 28th of November 2009 07:59:15 PM
Old 11-28-2009
You could catch SIGCHLD. When a child process closes, you get it, meanwhile, you can do whatever else you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

I had a problem deleting a zombie process. It refused to be killed. I even tried kill -9 process# but it refused. Any other way of killing it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate < > sign meaning

Hi I would like to replace one of our script, and add some pre-checking for the input file before running the command, but I bumped into the following issue: Original command: use < input.txt I cannot modify the original command, but I created the useit script which would be called as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apapp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and eliminate

Could any one help me to compare the date value say at 10th column with sysdate (i.e current date) and if diffrence is more than 50 days then filter them out from the file. The file contain 10000 records. head file 00971502657744 A671FAHP2EW8BG1369172011HRWS contact information ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate ^L

Hi, I am trying to create a text file from data retrieved from a query.The data retrieved is having this character '^L' at regular intervals of the data. How can i eliminate this, Please find below the sample data. I tried sed -e "s/\^L//g" to convert it, but with no luck ^LCODE*SERIAL... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to eliminate the records

Hi All, Please help me how to remove the records from the file if it is having more number of fields than the required one, before loading into stage Here is the sample records. File is space delimited one chandu 1121324 CC ( 2 spaces) chandu balu 434657 DD (3 spaces) -- failing due to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Zombies

Hello, quick question: I have a zombie process listed with 'top' Could someone help me find out what it the PID is for it, so I can kill $PID. $ model 9000/800/rp3440 HP-UX bigassserver B.11.31 U 9000/800 3085785128 unlimited-user license thanks! System: bigassserver ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
23 Replies
exit(2) 							System Calls Manual							   exit(2)

NAME
exit(), _exit(), _Exit() - terminate a process SYNOPSIS
Parameters status The values of status can be or as described in or any other value, although only the least significant 8 bits (that is, status is available to a waiting parent process. DESCRIPTION
The function first calls all functions registered by in the reverse order of their registration. Each function is called as many times as it was registered. If a function registered by a call to fails to return, the remaining registered functions are called and the rest of the processing is not completed. terminates the calling process and passes status to the system for inspection {see wait(2)}. Returning from main in a C program has the same effect as the status value is the function value returned by main (this value is undefined if main does not take care to return a value or to call explicitly). If the calling process is multithreaded, all threads/lightweight process in the process will be terminated. cannot return to its caller. The result of an call during exit processing is undefined. The functions and are equivalent, except that calls functions registered by and flushes standard I/O buffers, while does not. The function is equivalent to The functions and terminate the calling process with the following consequences. The exact order of these consequences is unspecified. All file descriptors, directory streams, conversion descriptors, and message catalog descriptors open in the calling process are closed. All files created by are removed (see tmpfile(3S)). If the parent process of the calling process is executing a or it is notified of the calling process's termination, and the low- order eight bits; i.e., bits 0377 of status are made available to it (see wait(2)). If the parent process of the calling process is not executing a or and does not have set to the calling process is transformed into a zombie process. A zombie process is a process that only occupies a slot in the process table. It has no other space allocated either in user or kernel space. Time accounting information is recorded for use by (see times(2)). The parent process ID is set to the process ID of the initialization process (aka for all of the calling process's existing child processes and zombie processes. This means the initialization process inherits each of these processes. Threads/LWPs terminated by a call to shall not invoke their cancellation cleanup handlers or their thread specific data destructor functions. Each attached shared memory segment is detached and the value of in the data structure associated with its shared memory identifier is decremented by 1 (see shmop(2)). For each semaphore for which the calling process has set a semadj value (see semop(2)), that semadj value is added to the value of the specified semaphore. If the process has a process, text, or data lock, an is performed, see plock(2). An accounting record is written on the accounting file if the system's accounting routine is enabled (see acct(2)). A signal is sent to the parent process. If the calling process is a controlling process, the signal is sent to each process in the foreground process group of the control- ling terminal belonging to the calling process. The controlling terminal associated with the session is disassociated from the ses- sion, allowing it to be acquired by a new controlling process. If the exit of the calling process causes a process group to become orphaned, and if any member of the newly-orphaned process group is stopped, all processes in the newly-orphaned process group are sent and signals. If the current process has any child processes that are being traced, they are sent a signal. AUTHOR
was developed by HP, AT&T, and the University of California, Berkeley. and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1), acct(2), close(2), plock(2), semop(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), sigaction(2), times(2), vfork(2), wait(2), wait3(2), waitpid(2) atexit(3), fclose(3), pthread_cancel(3T), pthread_exit(3T), pthread_key_create(3T), signal(5). See exit conditions STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
exit(2)