Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to use <crontab> in linux Post 302375258 by thegeek on Friday 27th of November 2009 05:29:45 AM
Old 11-27-2009
when you execute "who am i" in a batch process, you are getting nothing.,

try executing some other, and specify absolute path of it, you are likely to get output.
Code:
* * * * * /bin/ls >> ~/my.txt

sadly, the first job you tried itself is giving you trouble, but anyway thats how we learnt unix, enjoy here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CronTab

Hello experts, I've got a question on cron command. The scenery is this: - I need to make the backups on the system where i work - I can do it myself at late hours, or I can let the Operative System do it for me. What is my problem? My problem is that the CronTab, aparently didn't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab

I went through man crontab; minute hour day_of_month month weekday command To copy a file called mycronjobs into the /var/admn/cron/crontabs directory, enter the following: crontab mycronjobs etc ------If I want to put a shell script say abc.ksh in a cronfile and run it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

Hi I have a shell script which works fine at the command line and does works in crontab also but does not send the output to mail as other scripts do by default. 10 1 * * * /export/home/test/report_script by default should send the output to mail but the script runs OK and the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

Hi All, Can any one please help in setting up crontab where the crontab entries are in a file say "crontabentries" How to delete the crontab entries and how to register a file to crontab. thanks Satish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thaduka
1 Replies

5. AIX

crontab

Hi, am able to run manual backup on a client by going to /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin and running dsmc incr command. am running incremental backup. my question was 1) suppose i want to run automated backup , should i put it in crontab and how to do that? should i open crontab using crontab -e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in crontab?

Can anyone please help me here i am trying to schedule a job in CRON I want to run it every five minutes. When i try to save getting following error message OS is HP UNIX "/var/tmp/aaaa01326" 1 line, 82 characters */5 * * * * /home/oracle/run.sh >> /home/oracle/logs/run.log 2>&1 crontab:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J_ang
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the last crontab

Hi all, can anybody tell how to get the last crontab if it is deleted. is there any way to get the crontab back? or it will it be staored anywhere ? its very urgent, can anybody help for the same? Thanks, Vinay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab

Hi. I have scheduled back to back 3 cron jobs in different files.. */10 * * * * cal 10 10 * * * uptime 10 * * * 1,2 date This what i have doe.. Now i want to list all these jobs. I have tried jobs -l but it gives the recently scheduled job i,e 10 * * * 1,2 date. How can print all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New Crontab

All, It has been a few years since I've setup a crontab. I honestly cannot remember how to do it. I know there might be threads already available but hoping someone can guide me in setting it up. I would like to run some SAS code on Sunday night. I have SSH Tectia but no other editors. I used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skidooman341
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Linux ksh script not working in crontab

I am Not sure why following script is not capturing the counts only when using crontab !! when I run it fromt he command line it is fine ! what is missing here ! #!/usr/bin/ksh host=`uname -n` tdate=`date` userid='dbid/password' totalevents=`sqlplus -s $userid << - set timing off ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
1 Replies
CREATE_MAKEFILES()														CREATE_MAKEFILES()

NAME
create_makefiles - Recreates all Makefiles beneath a directory SYNOPSIS
create_makefiles [dir] DESCRIPTION
create_makefiles recreates all Makefiles in dir and its (recursed) subdirectories from the corresponding Makefile.am templates. This script must be run from the toplevel directory (the one containing configure). This script saves time compared to re-running configure completely. If the source directory is different from the build directory (see the environment variables below), it will be assumed that each Makefile.am and Makefile.in belongs beneath the source directory and that each Makefile belongs beneath the build directory. This utility is part of the KDE Software Development Kit. ENVIRONMENT
One of the following variables (but not both) should be set if the source directory is different from the build directory. If the build directory is simply a subdirectory of the source directory, the simpler variable OBJ_SUBDIR should be used. OBJ_SUBJDIR Indicates that the build directory is in the given subdirectory of the source directory. For instance, if the source directory is kdesdk and the build directory is kdesdk/obj-i386-linux, then OBJ_SUBDIR should be set to obj-i386-linux. OBJ_REPLACEMENT A sed expression that is used to transform the source directory into the build directory. For instance, if the source directory is kdesdk/obj-i386-linux, then OBJ_REPLACEMENT should be set to s#kdesdk#kdesdk-obj#. SEE ALSO
create_makefile(1) make(2) AUTHORS
create_makefiles was written by David Faure<faure@kde.org>. This manual page was prepared by Ben Burton<bab@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). CREATE_MAKEFILES()