Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with bash script - Need to get CPU usage as a percentage Post 302374723 by mkastin on Wednesday 25th of November 2009 09:23:36 AM
Old 11-25-2009
sysstat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total Percentage CPU usage

Hi, How can I find total CPU usage in percentage? e.g. if my system has 8 CPUs and I want to list total usage for all of them, is it possible through a command? I have tried some of the commands like top, mpstat, sar. The output of those commands has to be manipulated to derive the percentage... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
14 Replies

6. HP-UX

Perl script limit cpu usage

Hi Experts, I am executing multiple instances(in parallel) of perl script on HP-UX box. OS is allocating substantial amount of CPU to these perl processes,resulting higher cpu utilization. Glance always shows perl processes are occupying majority of the CPU resource. It is causing slower... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate the max cpu usage from the main script

Hi All, I have a script which does report the cpu usuage, there are few output parameter/fields displayed from the script. My problem is I have monitor the output and decide which cpu number (column 2) has maximum value (column 6). Since the output is displayed/updated every seconds, it's very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU usage script

Hello Friends, I am trying to create a shell script which will check the CPU utilization. I use command top to check the %CPU usage. It give s me below output Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE SYS IDLE BLOCK SWAIT INTR SSYS 0 0.31 9.6% 0.0% 6.1% 84.3% 0.0% 0.0%... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for CPU usage -Linux

Hi all I was wondering if its possible to write a script to keep CPU usage at 90%-95%? for a single cpu linux server? I have a perl script I run on servers with multple cpu's and all I do is max all but one cpu to get into the 90'% utilised area. I now need a script that raises the CPU to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudobash
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Capture PRSTAT based on CPU usage percentage

Hi, Recently i have write a simple script to capture CPU high usage based on prstat but i found out that it did capture correctly. I need to capture the rows that contains CPU usage more than 3%. Below line which i thought will capture CPU usage based CPU column in prstat(9th parameter) which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
3 Replies
SADC(8) 							Linux User's Manual							   SADC(8)

NAME
sadc - System activity data collector. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib64/sa/sadc [ -C comment ] [ -F ] [ -L ] [ -V ] [ -S { INT | DISK | SNMP | IPV6 | POWER | XDISK | ALL | XALL } ] [ interval [ count ] ] [ outfile ] DESCRIPTION
The sadc command samples system data a specified number of times (count) at a specified interval measured in seconds (interval). It writes in binary format to the specified outfile or to standard output. If outfile is set to -, then sadc uses the standard system activity daily data file, the /var/log/sa/sadd file, where the dd parameter indicates the current day. In this case, sadc will overwrite the file if it is from a previous month. By default sadc collects all the data available from the kernel. Exceptions are interrupts and disk data, for which the relevant options must be explicitly passed to sadc (see options below). When the count parameter is not specified, sadc writes its data endlessly. When both interval and count are not specified, and option -C is not used, a dummy record, which is used at system startup to mark the time when the counter restarts from 0, will be written. For exam- ple, one of the system startup script may write the restart mark to the daily data file by the command entry: /usr/lib64/sa/sadc - The sadc command is intended to be used as a backend to the sar command. Note: The sadc command only reports on local activities. OPTIONS
-C comment When neither the interval nor the count parameters are specified, this option tells sadc to write a dummy record containing the specified comment string. This comment can then be displayed with option -C of sar. -F The creation of outfile will be forced. If the file already exists and has a format unknown to sadc then it will be truncated. This may be useful for daily data files created by an older version of sadc and whose format is no longer compatible with current one. -L sadc will try to get an exclusive lock on the outfile before writing to it or truncating it. Failure to get the lock is fatal, except in the case of trying to write a normal (i.e. not a dummy and not a header) record to an existing file, in which case sadc will try again at the next interval. Usually, the only reason a lock would fail would be if another sadc process were also writing to the file. This can happen when cron is used to launch sadc. If the system is under heavy load, an old sadc might still be run- ning when cron starts a new one. Without locking, this situation can result in a corrupted system activity file. -S { INT | DISK | SNMP | IPV6 | POWER | XDISK | ALL | XALL } Specify which optional activities should be collected by sadc. Some activities are optional to prevent data files from growing too large. The INT keyword indicates that sadc should collect data for system interrupts. The DISK keyword indicates that sadc should collect data for block devices. The SNMP and IPV6 keywords indicate respectively that SNMP and IPv6 statistics should be collected by sadc. The POWER keyword indicates that sadc should collect power management statistics. The ALL keyword is equivalent to speci- fying all the keywords above and therefore all previous activities are collected. The XDISK keyword is an extension to the DISK one and indicates that partition statistics should be collected by sadc in addition to disk statistics. This option works only with kernels 2.6.25 and later. The XALL keyword is equivalent to specifying all the key- words above (including keyword extensions) and therefore all possible activities are collected. Important note: The activities (including optional ones) saved in an existing data file prevail over those selected with option -S. As a consequence, appending data to an existing data file will result in option -S being ignored. -V Print version number then exit. ENVIRONMENT
The sadc command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_DEF_TIME If this variable exists and its value is UTC then sadc will save its data in UTC time. sadc will also use UTC time instead of local time to determine the current daily data file located in the /var/log/sa directory. EXAMPLES
/usr/lib64/sa/sadc 1 10 /tmp/datafile Write 10 records of one second intervals to the /tmp/datafile binary file. /usr/lib64/sa/sadc -C Backup_Start /tmp/datafile Insert the comment Backup_Start into the file /tmp/datafile. BUGS
The /proc filesystem must be mounted for the sadc command to work. All the statistics are not necessarily available, depending on the kernel version used. sadc assumes that you are using at least a 2.6 kernel. FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Indicate the daily data file, where the dd parameter is a number representing the day of the month. /proc contains various files with system statistics. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), sa1(8), sa2(8), sadf(1), sysstat(5) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux JULY 2012 SADC(8)