Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uname help
Operating Systems Solaris uname help Post 302374692 by DukeNuke2 on Wednesday 25th of November 2009 08:28:08 AM
Old 11-25-2009
yes, no, maybe... i don't understand your question... maybe cause there is NO question. where is your problem?
if you like people to spent time on your problems, you might want to spent some time on your own to write down what you would like to know, don't understand or want to do...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

2. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

3. AIX

uname -S newhostname

hi freinds recently i have change hostname node as using uname -s ******* but next time i saw the name using uname -n the name did t changed is that i have to reboot the system (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

6. Fedora

uname too vague?

Hi all, I am ssh'ed into a cluster and want to install a package. However, I don't know which type to chose (CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE are some of the options). I ran called uname with various arguments but none are specific... $ uname -n resolute.research... $ uname -i x86_64 $ uname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neurorad
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

8. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
UNAME(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UNAME(2)

NAME
uname - get name and information about current kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/utsname.h> int uname(struct utsname *buf); DESCRIPTION
uname() returns system information in the structure pointed to by buf. The utsname struct is defined in <sys/utsname.h>: struct utsname { char sysname[]; /* Operating system name (e.g., "Linux") */ char nodename[]; /* Name within "some implementation-defined network" */ char release[]; /* Operating system release (e.g., "2.6.28") */ char version[]; /* Operating system version */ char machine[]; /* Hardware identifier */ #ifdef _GNU_SOURCE char domainname[]; /* NIS or YP domain name */ #endif }; The length of the arrays in a struct utsname is unspecified (see NOTES); the fields are terminated by a null byte (''). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT buf is not valid. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. There is no uname() call in 4.3BSD. The domainname member (the NIS or YP domain name) is a GNU extension. NOTES
This is a system call, and the operating system presumably knows its name, release and version. It also knows what hardware it runs on. So, four of the fields of the struct are meaningful. On the other hand, the field nodename is meaningless: it gives the name of the present machine in some undefined network, but typically machines are in more than one network and have several names. Moreover, the ker- nel has no way of knowing about such things, so it has to be told what to answer here. The same holds for the additional domainname field. To this end Linux uses the system calls sethostname(2) and setdomainname(2). Note that there is no standard that says that the hostname set by sethostname(2) is the same string as the nodename field of the struct returned by uname() (indeed, some systems allow a 256-byte hostname and an 8-byte nodename), but this is true on Linux. The same holds for setdomainname(2) and the domainname field. The length of the fields in the struct varies. Some operating systems or libraries use a hardcoded 9 or 33 or 65 or 257. Other systems use SYS_NMLN or _SYS_NMLN or UTSLEN or _UTSNAME_LENGTH. Clearly, it is a bad idea to use any of these constants; just use sizeof(...). Often 257 is chosen in order to have room for an internet hostname. Part of the utsname information is also accessible via /proc/sys/kernel/{ostype, hostname, osrelease, version, domainname}. Underlying kernel interface Over time, increases in the size of the utsname structure have led to three successive versions of uname(): sys_olduname() (slot __NR_oldolduname), sys_uname() (slot __NR_olduname), and sys_newuname() (slot __NR_uname). The first one used length 9 for all fields; the second used 65; the third also uses 65 but adds the domainname field. The glibc uname() wrapper function hides these details from applica- tions, invoking the most recent version of the system call provided by the kernel. SEE ALSO
uname(1), getdomainname(2), gethostname(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 UNAME(2)