Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Open Storage Questions
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Open Storage Questions Post 302374436 by Keepcase on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 12:13:36 PM
Old 11-24-2009
Sun Open Storage Questions

Hey All,

I had some minor questions regarding Sun's open storage
I understand it uses standard industry hardware (is the warranty void if we were to mix and match drives?)

I know it uses OpenSolaris for the storage features (but can it use any os?)

Does it have to be OpenSource? I watched the videos on sun.com and the panel were making it sound as if OpenSolaris only had the features to work with the FISH stack
but what I'm trying to grasp is what the difference between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris when we're talking about open storage... Is this concept only supposed to be for opensource ?

I was also trying to grasp what is the difference between say a StorEdge3300 and the J4000 family?

In other words, what do these open storage solutions provide that storedge cannot?

I understand you don't need multiple servers and multiple storedge as you can run them as a virtualized environment on one of these servers (is that correct?)

I also read the 32 page pdf on that site, and they said open storage can be used to repurpose the storage? what does that mean exactly? can't a storEdge do that?

I'm just really interested in this, and I'm trying to understand what it actually is doing.. I was hoping one of fellow posters can maybe explain a bit more (as I lack some of the knowledge to fully understand what this is trying to do and why it's so amazing)

I do understand they are using flash (SSD-- in the more expensive models) and all 3 levels provide huge savings as we're not tied down to specific vendors.

but what other benefits does open storage provide?

Thanks for any informative posts! Smilie

MYSQLND_QC_SET_STORAGE_HANDLER(3)					 1					 MYSQLND_QC_SET_STORAGE_HANDLER(3)

mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler - Change current storage handler

SYNOPSIS
bool mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler (string $handler) DESCRIPTION
Sets the storage handler used by the query cache. A list of available storage handler can be obtained from mysqlnd_qc_get_available_han- dlers(3). Which storage are available depends on the compile time configuration of the query cache plugin. The default storage handler is always available. All other storage handler must be enabled explicitly when building the extension. PARAMETERS
o $handler - Handler can be of type string representing the name of a built-in storage handler or an object of type mysqlnd_qc_han- dler_default. The names of the built-in storage handler are default, APC, MEMCACHE, sqlite. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. If changing the storage handler fails a catchable fatal error will be thrown. The query cache cannot operate if the previous storage han- dler has been shutdown but no new storage handler has been installed. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler(3) example The example shows the output from the built-in default storage handler. Other storage handler may report different data. <?php var_dump(mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler("memcache")); if (true === mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler("default")) printf("Default storage handler activated"); /* Catchable fatal error */ var_dump(mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler("unknown")); ?> The above examples will output: bool(true) Default storage handler activated Catchable fatal error: mysqlnd_qc_set_storage_handler(): Unknown handler 'unknown' in (file) on line (line) SEE ALSO
Installation, mysqlnd_qc_get_available_handlers(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQLND_QC_SET_STORAGE_HANDLER(3)