Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Open Storage Questions
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Open Storage Questions Post 302374436 by Keepcase on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 12:13:36 PM
Old 11-24-2009
Sun Open Storage Questions

Hey All,

I had some minor questions regarding Sun's open storage
I understand it uses standard industry hardware (is the warranty void if we were to mix and match drives?)

I know it uses OpenSolaris for the storage features (but can it use any os?)

Does it have to be OpenSource? I watched the videos on sun.com and the panel were making it sound as if OpenSolaris only had the features to work with the FISH stack
but what I'm trying to grasp is what the difference between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris when we're talking about open storage... Is this concept only supposed to be for opensource ?

I was also trying to grasp what is the difference between say a StorEdge3300 and the J4000 family?

In other words, what do these open storage solutions provide that storedge cannot?

I understand you don't need multiple servers and multiple storedge as you can run them as a virtualized environment on one of these servers (is that correct?)

I also read the 32 page pdf on that site, and they said open storage can be used to repurpose the storage? what does that mean exactly? can't a storEdge do that?

I'm just really interested in this, and I'm trying to understand what it actually is doing.. I was hoping one of fellow posters can maybe explain a bit more (as I lack some of the knowledge to fully understand what this is trying to do and why it's so amazing)

I do understand they are using flash (SSD-- in the more expensive models) and all 3 levels provide huge savings as we're not tied down to specific vendors.

but what other benefits does open storage provide?

Thanks for any informative posts! Smilie

MOUNT.S3QL(1)							       S3QL							     MOUNT.S3QL(1)

NAME
mount.s3ql - Mount an S3QL file system SYNOPSIS
mount.s3ql [options] <storage url> <mount point> DESCRIPTION
S3QL is a file system for online data storage. Before using S3QL, make sure to consult the full documentation (rather than just the man pages which only briefly document the available userspace commands). The mount.s3ql command mounts the S3QL file system stored in storage url in the directory mount point. The storage url depends on the back- end that is used. The S3QL User's Guide should be consulted for a description of the available backends. OPTIONS
The mount.s3ql command accepts the following options. --log <target> Write logging info into this file. File will be rotated when it reaches 1 MB, and at most 5 old log files will be kept. Specify none to disable logging. Default: ~/.s3ql/mount.log --cachedir <path> Store cached data in this directory (default: ~/.s3ql) --authfile <path> Read authentication credentials from this file (default: ~/.s3ql/authinfo2) --debug <module> activate debugging output from <module>. Use all to get debug messages from all modules. This option can be specified multiple times. --quiet be really quiet --ssl Always use SSL connections when connecting to remote servers. For backends that allow only encrypted connections, S3QL uses SSL automatically, even if this option is not set. --version just print program version and exit --cachesize <size> Cache size in kb (default: 102400 (100 MB)). Should be at least 10 times the maximum object size of the filesystem, otherwise an object may be retrieved and written several times during a single write() or read() operation. --max-cache-entries <num> Maximum number of entries in cache (default: 768). Each cache entry requires one file descriptor, so if you increase this number you have to make sure that your process file descriptor limit (as set with ulimit -n) is high enough (at least the number of cache entries + 100). --min-obj-size <size> Minimum size of storage objects in KB. Files smaller than this may be combined into groups that are stored as single objects in the storage backend. Default: 512 KB. --allow-other Normally, only the user who called mount.s3ql can access the mount point. This user then also has full access to it, independent of individual file permissions. If the --allow-other option is specified, other users can access the mount point as well and individual file permissions are taken into account for all users. --allow-root Like --allow-other, but restrict access to the mounting user and the root user. --fg Do not daemonize, stay in foreground --single Run in single threaded mode. If you don't understand this, then you don't need it. --upstart Stay in foreground and raise SIGSTOP once mountpoint is up. --profile Create profiling information. If you don't understand this, then you don't need it. --compress <name> Compression algorithm to use when storing new data. Allowed values: lzma, bzip2, zlib, none. (default: lzma) --metadata-upload-interval <seconds> Interval in seconds between complete metadata uploads. Set to 0 to disable. Default: 24h. --threads <no> Number of parallel upload threads to use (default: auto). --nfs Enable some optimizations for exporting the file system over NFS. (default: False) EXIT STATUS
mount.s3ql returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occurred. SEE ALSO
The S3QL homepage is at http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. The full S3QL documentation should also be installed somewhere on your system, common locations are /usr/share/doc/s3ql or /usr/local/doc/s3ql. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 MOUNT.S3QL(1)