Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Open Storage Questions
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Open Storage Questions Post 302374436 by Keepcase on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 12:13:36 PM
Old 11-24-2009
Sun Open Storage Questions

Hey All,

I had some minor questions regarding Sun's open storage
I understand it uses standard industry hardware (is the warranty void if we were to mix and match drives?)

I know it uses OpenSolaris for the storage features (but can it use any os?)

Does it have to be OpenSource? I watched the videos on sun.com and the panel were making it sound as if OpenSolaris only had the features to work with the FISH stack
but what I'm trying to grasp is what the difference between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris when we're talking about open storage... Is this concept only supposed to be for opensource ?

I was also trying to grasp what is the difference between say a StorEdge3300 and the J4000 family?

In other words, what do these open storage solutions provide that storedge cannot?

I understand you don't need multiple servers and multiple storedge as you can run them as a virtualized environment on one of these servers (is that correct?)

I also read the 32 page pdf on that site, and they said open storage can be used to repurpose the storage? what does that mean exactly? can't a storEdge do that?

I'm just really interested in this, and I'm trying to understand what it actually is doing.. I was hoping one of fellow posters can maybe explain a bit more (as I lack some of the knowledge to fully understand what this is trying to do and why it's so amazing)

I do understand they are using flash (SSD-- in the more expensive models) and all 3 levels provide huge savings as we're not tied down to specific vendors.

but what other benefits does open storage provide?

Thanks for any informative posts! Smilie

DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::AutoCast(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		    DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::AutoCast(3)

NAME
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::AutoCast - Storage component for RDBMS requiring explicit placeholder typing SYNOPSIS
$schema->storage->auto_cast(1); DESCRIPTION
In some combinations of RDBMS and DBD drivers (e.g. FreeTDS and Sybase) statements with values bound to columns or conditions that are not strings will throw implicit type conversion errors. As long as a column data_type is defined and resolves to a base RDBMS native type via "_native_data_type" as defined in your Storage driver, the placeholder for this column will be converted to: CAST(? as $mapped_type) This option can also be enabled in connect_info as: on_connect_call => ['set_auto_cast'] connect_call_set_auto_cast Executes: $schema->storage->auto_cast(1); on connection. Used as: on_connect_call => ['set_auto_cast'] in connect_info. AUTHOR
See "CONTRIBUTORS" in DBIx::Class LICENSE
You may distribute this code under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-05 DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::AutoCast(3)