Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on "for" loop in bourne shell Post 302374356 by Lakris on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 08:12:52 AM
Old 11-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbedUX
Thank you very mcuh for the reply....

I could use the above mentioned for loop syntax......

But the limit of the loop is unkonown i.e., in
Code:
 for i in 1 2 3 4 5

limit is only 5. What it should be for 'n' numbers ?

Secondly, with the above code is it possible to manipulate the value of i....i.e., if I want a decrement of 3 instead of 1......is it possible...

Thanks in advance.......

Hi, You could have a look at seq, man seq

Quote:
NAME
seq - print a sequence of numbers

SYNOPSIS
seq [OPTION]... LAST
seq [OPTION]... FIRST LAST
seq [OPTION]... FIRST INCREMENT LAST
Example:
Code:
master:~ # for x in $(seq 1 2 10);do for y in $(seq 1 $x);do echo -n $x; done;echo;done
master:~ #

Best regards,
Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"if exists" Bourne Shell

hi all! new to the forum and i love how nice alot of you are. and i was hoping to get some help. a friend of mine asked me to make him a script for backtrack which is based on slax. it makes a new changes.lzm for the usb system and merges 2 files to update it. now i got that handled but i cant seem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcstalljr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment date using "for loop" in format MMDDYY inside the shell script?

Need to increment the date from "currentdate + 90days" inside the for loop (i=1 to i=50) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Command not found" doing a while loop in bash/shell

i=0 numberofproducts=${#urls} #gets number of entries in array called "urls" numberofproductsminusone=`expr $numberofproducts - 1` #-subtract by one while do wget ${urls} i=$(( $i + 1 )) sleep 10 done I'm getting an error ./scrape: line 22: [0: command not found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
3 Replies

9. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies
DIRCOLORS(1)								FSF							      DIRCOLORS(1)

NAME
dircolors - color setup for ls SYNOPSIS
dircolors [OPTION]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Output commands to set the LS_COLORS environment variable. Determine format of output: -b, --sh, --bourne-shell output Bourne shell code to set LS_COLORS -c, --csh, --c-shell output C shell code to set LS_COLORS -p, --print-database output defaults --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If FILE is specified, read it to determine which colors to use for which file types and extensions. Otherwise, a precompiled database is used. For details on the format of these files, run `dircolors --print-database'. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for dircolors is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and dircolors programs are properly installed at your site, the command info dircolors should give you access to the complete manual. dircolors (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 DIRCOLORS(1)