Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What do you do for a living?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What do you do for a living? Post 302374167 by frustin on Monday 23rd of November 2009 04:05:15 PM
Old 11-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
I really wish there was an other option....

I am technically, TIS (technical information services) level II as my job title. What I actually do, is a plethora of things in a 1:1 deployment. I work for public education in a 1:1 macbook environment. Every high school student and teacher, as well as administrators and directors all have their own Macbook/Macbook Pro. I have 6,000 Macbooks, about 2,000+ Mac desktops, and 33 or so Xserves.

Now for all my responsibilities....

-Systems Administrator
-Network Administrator
-Directory Administrator (LDAP and Open Directory)
-Server Administrator
-Package creation and deployment
-Image creation and Deployment
-Casper Administrator
-End user support
-internal documentation and training
-Making very crappy developed products work on the Macs (mostly edu apps)
-stop the sky from falling
-Maintenance and repair on all that is Mac

So basically, whenever something needs to get fixed, pushed out, deployed, or created it generally falls in my lap. I also have to do end user support as well. The good news is, I am never bored since I do almost everything, the bad news is, I have to do everything. I do wish I could specialize in other things at times, but I do like the ability to have my hands in almost everything. To be honest, I like doing most things myself, that way it gets done my way and almost always right the first time.
sounds like technical support to me. *shrug*
frustin

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Starting over, making a living with linux?

I really like to use linux, although I freely admit I don't know squat about it. I can install it, update it and get it to most of what I would like it to do, up to running some windows apps on it. I am going back so to school starting on the 25th, with a declared major of Information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What Do You Do for a Living? @UNIX.com

Video: What Do You Do for a Living? @UNIX.com https://youtu.be/eTddtFa_Z_g We asked our users at UNIX.com what they do for a living, and this was their top three replies in 1080 HD video. Shout-outs to quotes in the video from forum members Akshay Hegde, geeky404, ni2 and joeyg. Here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
CREATE 
USER(7) SQL Commands CREATE USER(7) NAME
CREATE USER - define a new database user account SYNOPSIS
CREATE USER username [ [ WITH ] option [ ... ] ] where option can be: SYSID uid | [ ENCRYPTED | UNENCRYPTED ] PASSWORD 'password' | CREATEDB | NOCREATEDB | CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER | IN GROUP groupname [, ...] | VALID UNTIL 'abstime' DESCRIPTION
CREATE USER will add a new user to an instance of PostgreSQL. Refer to the Administrator's Guide for information about managing users and authentication. You must be a database superuser to use this command. PARAMETERS username The name of the user. uid The SYSID clause can be used to choose the PostgreSQL user ID of the user that is being created. It is not at all necessary that those match the Unix user IDs, but some people choose to keep the numbers the same. If this is not specified, the highest assigned user ID plus one (with a minimum of 100) will be used as default. password Sets the user's password. If you do not plan to use password authentication you can omit this option, but the user won't be able to connect to a password-authenticated server. The password can be set or changed later, using ALTER USER [alter_user(7)]. ENCRYPTED UNENCRYPTED These keywords control whether the password is stored encrypted in pg_shadow. (If neither is specified, the default behavior is determined by the PASSWORD_ENCRYPTION server parameter.) If the presented string is already in MD5-encrypted format, then it is stored as-is, regardless of whether ENCRYPTED or UNENCRYPTED is specified. This allows reloading of encrypted passwords during dump/restore. See the chapter on client authentication in the Administrator's Guide for details on how to set up authentication mechanisms. Note that older clients may lack support for the MD5 authentication mechanism that is needed to work with passwords that are stored encrypted. CREATEDB NOCREATEDB These clauses define a user's ability to create databases. If CREATEDB is specified, the user being defined will be allowed to cre- ate his own databases. Using NOCREATEDB will deny a user the ability to create databases. If this clause is omitted, NOCREATEDB is used by default. CREATEUSER NOCREATEUSER These clauses determine whether a user will be permitted to create new users himself. This option will also make the user a supe- ruser who can override all access restrictions. Omitting this clause will set the user's value of this attribute to be NOCREA- TEUSER. groupname A name of a group into which to insert the user as a new member. Multiple group names may be listed. abstime The VALID UNTIL clause sets an absolute time after which the user's password is no longer valid. If this clause is omitted the login will be valid for all time. DIAGNOSTICS
CREATE USER Message returned if the command completes successfully. NOTES
Use ALTER USER [alter_user(7)] to change the attributes of a user, and DROP USER [drop_user(7)] to remove a user. Use ALTER GROUP [alter_group(l)] to add the user to groups or remove the user from groups. PostgreSQL includes a program createuser [createuser(1)] that has the same functionality as this command (in fact, it calls this command) but can be run from the command shell. EXAMPLES
Create a user with no password: CREATE USER jonathan; Create a user with a password: CREATE USER davide WITH PASSWORD 'jw8s0F4'; Create a user with a password, whose account is valid until the end of 2001. Note that after one second has ticked in 2002, the account is not valid: CREATE USER miriam WITH PASSWORD 'jw8s0F4' VALID UNTIL 'Jan 1 2002'; Create an account where the user can create databases: CREATE USER manuel WITH PASSWORD 'jw8s0F4' CREATEDB; COMPATIBILITY
The CREATE USER statement is a PostgreSQL extension. The SQL standard leaves the definition of users to the implementation. SEE ALSO
ALTER USER [alter_user(7)], DROP USER [drop_user(l)], createuser(1) SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 CREATE USER(7)