Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash : Check aphanumeric content in variable Post 302374143 by Scott on Monday 23rd of November 2009 02:53:33 PM
Old 11-23-2009
Code:
  VAR="$@"
  if [ -z "${VAR//[a-zA-Z0-9]}" ]; then
    echo "VAR has only a to z, A to Z and 0 to 9!"
  else
    echo "VAR has non-alpha-numeric!"
  fi

./Test abc
VAR has only a to z, A to Z and 0 to 9!

./Test 123abc
VAR has only a to z, A to Z and 0 to 9!

./Test 123+abc
VAR has non-alpha-numeric!

./Test !abc

./Test 123!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if two variable are empty strings at once? (bash)

I need to check if $1 or $2 are empty before continuing but I don't know if bash has any logic of the sort. This is what I'm looking for - except that "and" doesn't seem to work. if and ;then ... Thank you! :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the content of one file in another

Hi , I have a file called "X" . the content of X are X -- abc def and i have a file called "Y" , the content of Y are Y -- erty sdss s abc sfs def I need to check if the content of file X is contained in Y.Only unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check length content existence of variable

hi guys, im learning so be gentle... i'm wanting to write a script to read in a customer number. in order that the code is robust i want to check 1) the length of the value entered (4 characters) 2) that all characters entered are numeric between the values 1 to 3 3) that a value is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use grep to check variable content correctnes?

I need to know if is possible to use grep to check content of a local variable, for eg. i use read index and i want to check if the index i read is in correct form, how do i do that i tried with grep but i get errors all the time dont know how to make it work.. thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goroner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Content to Variable (bash)

is this possible? its kind of like incrementing the value of a number in a variable. but in this case, instead of the value of the variable being a number, it's just contents/strings/characters/alpha-numeric etc. NOT a number. For instance: VAR=Tommy for all in $(blah blah) do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check content of file

Hi All, I m very new to unix...i jus want to chk the content of file. ma requirement is if file has a content then display it else dont display or something pls specify which loop shalli use either for or while?? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check content

I would like to write a shell script to do the following , would advise how to make it ? very thanks 1. Connect LDAP server ( Id : user , password : pass ) 2. check the field "user_account_create_date" in the LDAP server , the format of data in this field in LDAP is ABC20130922 ( 22 Sep ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send to perl the content of a bash variable as argument?

I want to send the content of a bash variable as a python argument for processing. The problem is that bash doesn't "expand" the content, just sends the expression. script.sh#!/bin/bash export RECEIVEDDATE=$(date +"%Y%m%d.%H%M%S") perl checkdate.py checkdate.pyimport datetime import os... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
3 Replies
UPSLOG(8)							    NUT Manual								 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -f format Monitor the UPS using this format string. Be sure to enclose format in quotes so your shell doesn't split it up. Valid escapes within this string are: %% Insert a single "%" %TIME format% Insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% Insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battery.charge% %VAR input.voltage% %VAR ups.load% [%VAR ups.status%] %VAR ups.temperature% %VAR input.frequency% -i interval Wait this many seconds between polls. This defaults to 30 seconds. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient(3) library. -l logfile Store the results in this file. You can use "-" for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. -s ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". -u username If started as root, upsmon will setuid(2) to the user id associated with username for security. If username is not defined, it will use the value that was compiled into the program. This defaults to "nobody", which is less than ideal. SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep(3) after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval, depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its PID to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSLOG(8)