Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What was your first computer? Post 302373511 by Corona688 on Friday 20th of November 2009 01:57:24 PM
Old 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Not for me.... .I wrote an entire geo-triangulation, distance and bearing (direction) program on the C64 (in Basic) that we used when we downloaded coordinates from our survey gear.
Very creative use of it. How did you get over the I/O hurdle? I never did find working instructions for saving BASIC programs to disk; lots that didn't work, but none that did, and none that even explained what they were even trying to do... It stymied me for years. It's only now, with access to the modern internet, that I've found out why files on the Commodore were so strange: Disk I/O was neither raw, nor handled by the BIOS, Commodore had it's own unique solution. Drives were their own self-contained computers that communicated with the C64 in a weird and proprietary mini-language that was passed to it from BASIC I/O statements nearly raw.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-20-2009 at 03:13 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting computer name

Hi all! Is there any function to get the name from a computer by the IP adresse? Thank you in advance! Greetings Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xwindow on old computer

hello at first sorry for my english... i know it isn't good but i hope you can understand me i want to install xwindow on my old pentium133MHz, 49MB ram memory, graphic card - stb horizon64 1MB (with old monochromatic monitor - horizontal 30.6-36.0, vertical 50-90) all this under redhat6.1...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who - PC Computer name

Does anyone know of a way of identifying the PC / client name rather than IP address via who or some other AIX command (5.3). (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Computer Does NOT Ping

Hi, I cannot ping my IP address on the following settings and was wondering if anyone knows a solution to make the computer pingable. Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service Pack 3 Wireless Router DLINK DSL-G604Tv2 Wireless Connection Windows Firewall - disabled completely by "stopped in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmc10
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

How Many hours on Computer?

How many hours you spend on Computer in a day??? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't shutdown the computer

i cannot shutdown my computer through GUI or CLI when i put the command shutdown -P/-r nowor press the shutdown button it goes to the login prompt and stays like that afterwards, so i press CTRL+ALT+delete (which works) but that only restarts it and closes processes like winbind and apache ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mi117
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help my computer has been compromised

Hi everyone, I hope I am posting in the right spot and I really need some help. I am going through a horrible divorce and I am afraid that my husband has compromised . He set up my mac computer and router and for my job set up remote access for me. I caught him cheating on me and I think he... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk243665
6 Replies
RK(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     RK(4)

NAME
rk - RK-11/RK03 or RK05 disk DESCRIPTION
Rk? refers to an entire disk as a single sequentially-addressed file. Its 256-word blocks are numbered 0 to 4871. Minor device numbers are drive numbers on one controller. The rk files discussed above access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw RK files begin with rrk and end with a number which selects the same disk as the corre- sponding rk file. In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk block). Likewise seek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. FILES
/dev/rk?, /dev/rrk? BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. RK(4)