Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gfs2 vs xfs vs ext4
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Gfs2 vs xfs vs ext4 Post 302373139 by king_hippo on Thursday 19th of November 2009 01:16:18 PM
Old 11-19-2009
1. What type of storage are you using.
Penguin x8dtn, 24 1tb disks
2. What type of disks
sata
3. If using a controller based array, what you optimized for sequential or random operation.
dont know
4. Will you mirror on-host or using hardware RAID
controller based raid 10. six disks per raid set
4. What is your storage block size.
5. What is the average size of your writes
dunno, guess is a few meg. No more than 16m. These are email attachments
6. What is the breakdown of reads/writes
not sure
7. Is it really optimal to create a 12TB LUN and put all you eggs in one basket, could you achieve better results with more smaller luns.
yes, we are using 3tb
8. Do you have file hotspots ( certain files heavily accessed )
just newer ones a bit
9. How many files per directory do you have ( files includes sub-directories) in the largest directory.
millions

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Does Solaris support XFS filesytem?

Hi, Does solaris support the XFS file sytems? If so, how can I mount a shared directory from another machine (which is using XFS)? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext4 - ready for production system?

Gidday, Are you using ext4 for production system? Or is it better to opt for a more conservative strategy, like ext3 for instance? What are your experiences? Thanks in advance, Loïc. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[XFS] How to use real-time subvolume

Hi! I created filesystem XFS on partition hda8 with subvolume real-time on partition hda5: mkfs.xfs -r rtdev=/dev/hda5 /dev/hda8 and i mounted it: mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/hda5 /dev/hda8 /xfs But I don't know how can I use this partition hda5 with subvolume real-time. I don't know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cadi2108
3 Replies

4. Linux

GFS2 needed or not?

Hey everyone. I am in the process of setting up an iSCSI SAN to function as a log storage device for a number of servers. All of the initiators see the volume, and originally I formatted it with ext3 and went on my merry way. However after some research I'm having concerns that I should nuke the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

5. SuSE

iscsi network share + xfs

Hello, we got a MD3000i used as a network share between two servers (say A and B). The problem we are facing is that file/directories created by server A are not visible on server B (and viceversa). It's not a problem with permission (chmod 777 doesn't help). The MD3000i was at first used ony... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutrino
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

XFS - Custom Kernel or Module?

Hey everyone. I am going to be using XFS for a project coming up. We're running RHEL 5.5. Simply typing modprobe xfs works just fine. The kernel module loads without any issue. Is there any issue with doing this and inserting "modprobe xfs" into /etc/rc.modules? Is there a major reason to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Convert ext4 to ext3

Is there any way to conver ext4 to ext3 filesystem without formatting the partition/disk .. Had ext3 filesystem and had converted it to ext4 by issuing following command # tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sda1 # fsck -pf /dev/sda1 # blkid /dev/sda1 /dev/sda1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VMWare,XFS and iSCSI issues!

I have a RHEL6 VM that requires the use of remote storage using iSCSI and XFS for the mount point. Here's the issue: With XFS you can't use the _netdev option for your mount point (pause for network) so my mount point doesn't mount properly because the network isn't up yet. I've moved the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksfolsom
3 Replies
ri(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     ri(7)

NAME
ri - I2O RAID disk interface SYNOPSIS
bus i2o0 at pci2001 slot 4 controller i2o_bs0 at i2o0 slot 18 DESCRIPTION
The ri driver supports 32-bit and 64-bit PCI backplane RAID controllers with Intelligent I/O (I2O) host interface supporting backend SCSI channels. I2O is an open architecture for developing device drivers that is independent of the operating system, processor platform, and system I/O bus. The communication model is based on a message-passing protocol reducing the number of driver interfaces needed. A single driver called an Operating System Module(OSM) is provided to support all Block Storage class devices. Any RAID system that supports the I2O interface functions with this driver. These devices are designated as ri to distinguish them from ra, re, and rz (SCSI) devices. The StorageWorks Command Console Utility (SWCC) is supported for online configuration and monitoring of I2O raid devices. The following rules are used to determine the major and minor numbers that are associated with an ri type disk. A dynamic major number is used to represent ri block devices, and is assigned during initial configuration. The current major number can be determined using the following command: # /sbin/devswmgr -getnum i2o_bs The preceding command displays the driver switch reservation list, showing the device instance and major number for the i2o_bs driver. An alternative method is: # /sbin/sysconfig -q i2o_bs The highest 14 bits of the 20-bit minor number represents a particular Block Storage device, while lowest six bits of the minor number specify disk partitions (identified by the letters, a through h) on that device. The device special file names associated with ri disks are based on conventions that are closely associated with the minor number assigned to the disk. The standard device names begin with ri for block special files and rri for character (raw) special files. Following the ri is the unit number and then a letter, a through h, that represents the partition. Throughout this reference page, the question mark (?) character represents the unit number in the name of the device special file. For example, ri?b could represent ri0b, ri1b, and so on. A disk can be accessed through either the block special file or the character special file. The block special file accesses the disk using the file system's normal buffering mechanism. Reads and writes to the block special file can specify any size. This capability avoids the need to limit data transfers to the size of physical disk records and to calculate offsets within disk records. The file system can break up large read and write requests into smaller fixed size transfers to the disk. The character special file provides a raw interface that allows for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buf- fer. A single read/write operation to the raw interface results in exactly one I/O operation. Consequently, raw I/O may be considerably more efficient for large transfers. For systems with ri disks, the first software boot after the system is powered on may take longer than expected. This delay is normal and is caused by the software spinning up the ri disks. Disk Support The ri driver handles all disk drives that can be connected to the I2O RAID controller. To determine which drives are supported for spe- cific CPU types and hardware configurations, see the hardware installation and configuration information for your I2O system. I2O RAID Controllers are viewed in all cases as RI type disks. There are some notable differences that should be taken into consideration when configuring a RAID device: Currently only sector sizes of 512 bytes are supported. Logical Volume sizes are not fixed sizes as com- pared to other disk devices. The size of the Logical Volume is configurable based on needs. The dynamic nature of Logical Volume sizes is dealt with by defining RAID devices as DYNAMIC. Only partitions a, b, c, and g are defined. If necessary, the disklabel(8) command can be run to change and define partitions for RAID devices Usually, the ri?a partition is used for the root file system and the ri?b partition as a paging area. The ri?c partition can be used for disk-to-disk copying because it maps the entire disk. The starting location and length (in 512 byte sectors) of the disk partitions of each drive are shown in the following table. Partition sizes can be changed by using the disklabel(8) command. I2O RAID partitions for systems based on the Alpha AXP architecture disk start length ri?a 0 131072 ri?b 131072 262144 ri?c 0 end of media ri?d 0 0 ri?e 0 0 ri?f 0 0 ri?g 393216 end of media ri?h 0 0 FILES
/dev/disk/ri??? /dev/disk/rri??? RELATED INFORMATION
RAID(7), SCSI(7), tz(7), rz(7),disklabel(8), MAKEDEV(8), uerf(8) delim off ri(7)