Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tty command failing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tty command failing Post 302373093 by talashil on Thursday 19th of November 2009 11:20:33 AM
Old 11-19-2009
Thankyou

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

dd command failing

I am new to HP-UX. I have an 8GB drive that is my root drive, contained in a Volume Group. I would like to clone that drive to another drive, which is 18.4GB. The other drive is not in a volume group. I am using this simple command:# dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t5d0The command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emsecrist
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract tty from ps command

When I try to extract tty from ps command , at time we get output , at times we dont. for eg i executed below quesry continulusly for some time,Actually i feel its because sometime pid allocated has some additional space at begining which causes this issue. ->ps | grep "/-ksh" | tail -1 | cut -f4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop failing cd command

Hi guys, i've wrote the following loop; for i in `ls` do cd $i/host cat "xxxx.txt" |grep "yyyy" >> zzzz.txt done I have a set of folder with different name and i need to extract a value from a file contained in the host subfolder ( that is present in each folder). When i run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect (SSH) to Windows server via Linux server through a script and passing command.. but failing

I am trying to connect to Windows server via Linux server through a script and run two commands " cd and ls " But its giving me error saying " could not start the program" followed by the command name i specify e g : "cd" i am trying in this manner " ssh username@servername "cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunil seelam
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While trying to load .so file manually using command its failing

Hi all, I am newbie to linux environment. I was trying to run an .so file manually which in turn call a method in bin folder. Command given, XXX_MODULES=libxxx.so /opt/servicename/bin/methodname -Le -c /opt/servicename/etc/methodname/methodname.conf -n -C -t -m "" When i tried to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharathpadman
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

While trying to load .so file manually using command its failing

Hi all, I am newbie to linux environment. I was trying to run an .so file manually which in turn call a method in bin folder. Command given, XXX_MODULES=libxxx.so /opt/servicename/bin/methodname -Le -c /opt/servicename/etc/methodname/methodname.conf -n -C -t -m "" When i tried to execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharathpadman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to auto correct a failing command?

If a command is not found, e.g. nawk, this is how I fix the problem ] && NAWK=/usr/bin/gawk ] && NAWK=/usr/bin/nawk ] && NAWK=/usr/bin/awkI use $NAWK an the set the appropriate value based on the system it runs. How can I implement a similar fix for a command found but illegal argument.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD