Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Word wrap with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Word wrap with sed Post 302373057 by stinkefisch on Thursday 19th of November 2009 09:46:31 AM
Old 11-19-2009
Thanks to the both of you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word wrap in vi

I am using vi to edit shell scripts, but whenever I get to the end of the line it goes to the next line, and when I run the script it considers whatever was placed onthe next line a new command...I guess this has to do with word wrap- how do I continue to write on one line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I use sed/ grep/awk for wrap file?

Hi, This is my first time post a new thread. I have been trying to work on this for the past 2 days and could not find any good solution. I have 1 long long line ( EDI wrapped file) like below: NEW*SR*04411763447*279*278*Q~*ZR*AAV*SR*04511763460*SQ*21B37F04~HL*305*304*Q~K~SN1*1*1*SR*05511763461*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanda_25
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

word wrap issue with grep

in my HP-Unix environment I continue to have issues seeing the whole file path when I do a grep Example: >ps -ef |grep test > /testpath/is/here/ should see: >ps -ef |grep test > /testpath/is/here/not/here/test Is there a setting to turn word wrap on/off? It works fine in our AIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bowtiextreme
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line wrap in sed

I tried line wrap in sed by sed -l 20 ' n' and as far as i understand each long line would be split into lenght of 20 characters in each. but thats not happening.wats going wrong:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithun1!
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word Wrap

When I cat a file that has several hundred characters in a line, the right hand side is truncated. How can I make everything displayed on my screen word wrap? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsimon
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word wrap does not work

I have an input file like this, 79 #--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 80 #- define generic contact 81 cat > ${NAGIOS_ETC}/contact-generic.cfg <<-'EOF' 82 define contact { 83 name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word Wrap .CSV Fils

Is there a generic method for applying word wrap to all cells for a .csv file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode a html file with word wrap

Hi, I have a file myfile.txt as seen below. Name Age Days --------- ------- -------- ABC 5 23 DEF 20 120 When i cat this file into a html file and send mail, I could see the file is opened as seen below. Name Age Days --------- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
7 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)