Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Queries on cron and GUI login... Post 302373022 by saagar on Thursday 19th of November 2009 08:30:34 AM
Old 11-19-2009
Queries on cron and GUI login...

I have 2 queries:
1.how do we monitor failed GUI logins...? I think the /var/adm/loginlog will log
only failed logins happened at /dev/console and virtual terminals..
2.How to use cron scheduler to display a message when a user is working in GUI Terminal window irrespective of in which terminal he is working..? Also, is there any tool to provide a popup message via cron scheduler while a user is in GUI mode?

Thank u..

Last edited by saagar; 11-20-2009 at 01:49 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

pswd change on sco GUI login

Can i change the password on the SCO GUI interface login page and if so how? When I try to login it just goes right back to the login screen. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qphillips
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 login GUI doesn't come up.

Hi experts, I've installed Solaris 8 to Sunfire V480. After installation I only could login to the server using CLI command. Can you show me how to start the login GUI? I use standard SUN graphic monitor and keyboard. Thanks in advanced. VN (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: vntiger
26 Replies

3. Linux

how to root gui login enable

hi iam installed mandriva spring 2009 iam unble to login into gui using root how to enable it where the settings are stored (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not able to login from GUI

Hi, When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I had chosen "automatic login" . So i was not asked ofr username and password everytime I switched on. I later wanted to change the settings. So I went to systems-->administration-->login window-->security. There I disabled automatic login and I reboot the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with GUI login on Ultra 45

I have a Sun Ultra 45 that was working perfectly until i upgraded it to Update 9 with a zfs filesystem. The box is sparc based and has an internal video card. When i boot it up, i receive an X server error and, while checking /var/dt/Xerrors, the following message is displayed Fatal server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
9 Replies

6. Fedora

can't login via GUI but can via Putty

Hi all, I am able to login via putty to a fedora 10 workstation. But when i try to login via physical screen connected to workstation, it just gives me a blank screen and i cant see any options to enter username and passwd. How do i get the physical GUI to work. $ who -r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login via gui

I am not too new with linux. Since I installed a new version (2011) of Mandriva, I am unable to login via the gui (I'm currently using the live version of the same dvd free with Linux Format mag). I can login from a console as it has picked up the previous version's /home, but when I try to login... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardmellersh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to login into GUI mode.

hii all, I am unable to login into GUI mode in solaris 10. It is only prompting me to command mode credentials not going further to GUI mode.. Please help.. Thanks & regards, Bhagi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script (with sql queries) not working using cron

Hi all, I have script, which performing sql queries and put output into file. When I run this script manually, its working fine, but when I want to schedule it with cron I am getting errors... I defined LD_LYBRARY_PATH and ,but no result. After I defined it, I am getting error: # more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
4 Replies
last(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   last(8)

NAME
last - Displays information about previous logins SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/last [-n maxlines | -maxlines] [-f filename] [name...] [tty...] FLAGS
Reads information about previous logins from filename instead of from the accounting file /var/adm/wtmp. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Provides SVID conformance, and is equivalent to -maxlines. DESCRIPTION
The last command displays, in reverse chronological order, all previous logins and logouts entered in the currently active /var/adm/wtmp file. The list of output records can be restricted to maxlines number of record lines if the -maxlines or the -n maxlines flag is speci- fied. The last command also displays logins and logouts by the user specified with the name parameter, and logins and logouts from termi- nals specified with the tty parameter. The tty terminal references can be fully named (for example, tty0) or abbreviated (for example, 0). For each process, the following information is displayed according to session, with the most recent session listed first: Time session began Duration of session The tty terminal on which session took place The following information is included when applicable: Terminations when rebooting Continuing sessions If the last command is interrupted, an indication of how far the search has progressed in the /var/adm/wtmp file is provided. If the com- mand is interrupted by a quit signal, an indication as to how far the search has progressed is provided, but the search continues. To obtain information about the mean time between reboots, use the word shutdown as the name parameter. EXAMPLES
The following example displays all recorded logins and logouts for user root and all recorded logins and logouts from the console terminal: last root console The following example displays the time between system reboots: % last shutdown shutdown ~ Fri Aug 28 17:59 shutdown ~ Mon Aug 17 09:07 wtmp begins Mon Aug 17 08:51 In the previous example, the shutdown pseudouser is used to list the mean time between system reboots. FILES
Specifies the command path. Header file defining structures used to organize login information. The login/logout database file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: lastcomm(8) Files: utmp(4), wtmp(4). delim off last(8)