Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get different lines using a for loop Post 302372903 by swtvc@hotmail.c on Thursday 19th of November 2009 04:26:46 AM
Old 11-19-2009
sweet

Hi

Please find the script and hope it may fulfill ur needs

I didn't try since i don't have that much lengthy file.please try and let me know. You may need to edit the script according to error that u will get.

#!/bin/ksh

set -x

F=506
S=515
T=527
L=536
C=664

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
do
FN=`expr $F + $C * $i`
SN=`expr $S + $C * $i`
TN=`expr $T + $C * $i`
LN=`expr $L + $C * $i`

sed -n $FNp file1 >> file2
sed -n $SNp file1 >> file2
sed -n $TNp file1 >> file2
sed -n $LNp file1 >> file2
done

thank u

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through the lines in a file?

How do I loop through the lines of a file? Each line of the file will be the name of a server. Like: server1.stuff.com server2.stuff.com For each server I want to do a secure copy of the file to the other server. This will be a cron job so I guess it needs to run in just SH. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude lines in a loop

I use while do - done loop in my shell script. It is working as per my expectations. But I do not want to process all the lines. I am finding it difficult to exclude certain lines. 1) I do not want to process blank lines as well as lines those start with a space " " 2) I do not want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through between 2 found lines

Hi frnd , hv nice week ahead, in shell script i found 2 words as below 1 ) targ_found=`sed -n \`echo $line_no\`p sesslog.txt | grep -ic 'Targ Rowid'` 2 ) bracket_found=`sed -n \`echo $line_no\`p sesslog.txt | grep -wc ')'` now we got he line number of 2 words. now i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read lines with different lengths in while loop

Hi there ! I need to treat files with variable line length, and process the tab-delimited words of each line. The tools I know are some basic bash scripting and sed ... I haven't got to python or perl yet. So my file looks like this obj1 0.01953 0.34576 0.04418 0.01249 obj2 0.78140... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a for loop read in lines with spaces?

Is this possible? I have a for loop in a shell script reading a list, but I want each line to be a loop, not each thing with a space. Here is the example: HOSTLIST="\ 1.2.3.4 serverA 1.2.3.5 serverB" for NBUHOST in `echo $HOSTLIST` do ssh ${SERVERNAME} "echo "${NBUHOST}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

analyze lines in a file by loop

Hi Dears, I use the below code to analyze lines in a file: for line in `cat ucsv` do echo $line //analyze statements donehowever, if line contains space char, it will be broken. for example, if file content is: #login,full name,email,project,role,action gmwen,Bruce... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore blank lines in while loop

Hi, i am having one text file it contains some blank lines and i want to ignore that blank lines . #! /bin/bash clear rdCount=0; while read myline do echo $myline let rdCount=$rdCount+1 done < ps.txt echo "Total line=$rdCount" and ps .txt contains the data- (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Read lines and compare in a loop

I have a file which has following content: NAME=ora.DG1.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG2.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG3.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG4.dg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop to get rid of first 2 lines(conditionally)

hello all, I get data from different vendors and need to clean it up. Usually it pretty straight forward when i have files that only have headers....but in my case i have files that have a starting line of file name(and some junk info) and 2nd line is headers and the 3rd line is were the actual... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazy_max
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)