Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New computer for Unix-based OS's -- need help deciding Post 302371542 by jlliagre on Sunday 15th of November 2009 01:59:42 PM
Old 11-15-2009
If you want to run under Solaris or better, OpenSolaris, I would suggest 2 GB or more RAM and a multi-core 64 bit CPU (but aren't they all nowadays ?).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What can I do,if I want windows me and unix stay in the same computer?

My computer's operating system is windows me,now.I want install unix in it while I don't want to kill the windows me.So could u tell me what to do?I'd like you give me detailed information about it.Thank u. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: David
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im trying to put unix FreeBSD on my computer

i bought my computer from gateway about a year ago. i decided to try using a different OS so i tried partitioning my hard drive . It came with a older partion magic 4.0 and i tried using that but when i tried to install FreeBSD it wouldn't recongnise my drives. I just got lost on how to fix my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fossil
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix in pentium computer

Haw Can I install a solaris in my own pc at home I have try but every time it is just boot to windows what should I do about it so I can Have it at my home pc thanks All The best . . . . . . om911ar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omar911
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a network computer/drive in unix?

:D hey all, how do you scan/mount a network drive or computer/directory? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Computer Based Training

All, Any one knows where I can buy computer based training in unix like in AIX or HP-UX. some what like System Administration 1 and 2 Appreciate your help. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Unix on my Windows based computer

Hi Everyone... I am very interested in the Unix/Linux/Knoppix world and would like to eventually become proficient in the programming aspect of it all. Is it possible to use Knoppix in a partitioned drive on my Windows based computer to learn programming in Unix? Or do I need to partition my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rev. Enant
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX on windows based computer.

Hello, We would like to perform tests on a product that my company created lately. We don't have the right hardware for AIX enviornment I've read the thred "Unix environments for MS Windows", but didn't see there a possibility to install AIX OS on a special compatible hardware. We've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshkA
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer

I recently installed AT&T UNIX SysV, on an old Pentium computer. I now find that I am unable to transfer files to and from the computer. I previously posted about problems mounting a floppy drive, but that is just bringing up more problems about the filesystem format. JGT brought to my attention... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
27 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)