Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove duplicates from end of file Post 302371046 by jsmithstl on Friday 13th of November 2009 08:04:00 AM
Old 11-13-2009
This perl script should do what you want.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;

my %seen;     # hash used to determine if a line has been seen.
my @a_line;   # array to store unique lines.
my $line;     # variable to store each line.

#
# Loop through all lines in the file
#
while (<>)
{
   #
   # Ignore the line if it has been seen before.
   #
   unless ($seen{$_})
   {

#
      # Increment the hash for the line.
      #
      $seen{$_}++;

#
      # Store the line in the array of lines.
      #
      push( @a_line, $_);
   }
}

# 
# Print out each line in the array of lines.
#
foreach (@a_line)
{
   print "$_";
}

exit
#
# end of dup.pl
#

Sample Input Data

B
A
C
A
C

Output

./dup.pl < dup.dat
B
A
C

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates from File from specific location

How can i remove the duplicate lines from a file, for example sample123456Sample testing123456testing XXXXX131323XXXXX YYYYY423432YYYYY fsdfdsf123456gsdfdsd all the duplicates from column 6-12 , must be deleted. I want to consider the first row, if same comes in the given range i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopikgunda
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicates within a block in a file..help required

hi.. i have a file in the following format :- name-a age -12 address-123 age-12 phone-22222 ============ name-ab age -11 address-123 age-11 phone-222223 ============= name-abc age -12 address-1234 age-12 phone-2222223 ============= (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipun_garg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove duplicates lines in a file

Hi, I am writing a shell script that needs to remove duplicate lines within a file by category. example: section a a c b a section b a b a c I need to remove the duplicates within th category with out removing the duplicates from the 2 different sections (one of the a's in section... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichElks
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates from a file

Hi, I need to remove duplicates from a file. The file will be like this 0003 10101 20100120 abcdefghi 0003 10101 20100121 abcdefghi 0003 10101 20100122 abcdefghi 0003 10102 20100120 abcdefghi 0003 10103 20100120 abcdefghi 0003 10103 20100121 abcdefghi Here if the first colum and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search based on 1,2,4,5 columns and remove duplicates in the same file.

Hi, I am unable to search the duplicates in a file based on the 1st,2nd,4th,5th columns in a file and also remove the duplicates in the same file. Source filename: Filename.csv "1","ccc","information","5000","temp","concept","new" "1","ddd","information","6000","temp","concept","new"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicates from the .dat file

All, I have a file 1181CUSTOMER-L061411_003500.dat.Z having duplicate records in it. bash-2.05$ zcat 1181CUSTOMER-L061411_003500.dat.Z|grep "90876251S" 90876251S|ABG, AN ADAYANA COMPANY|3550 DEPAUW BLVD|||US|IN|INDIANAPOLIS||DAL|46268||||||GEN|||||||USD|||ABG, AN ADAYANA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates from a file

Can u tell me how to remove duplicate records from a file? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates and keep them in a separate file

Hi, I have a tablular separated file and I want to remove all the rows that have duplicates. The diuplicates I need to check are in column 13. I have tried to use awk but I have no Idea how to keep the duplicate file. awk 'FNR==NR{a++;next}(a> 1)' tomodify.txt tomodify.txt > new.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flacchy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove duplicates from pipe delimited file

Hi some one please help me to remove duplicates from a pipe delimited file based on first two columns. 123|asdf|sfsd|qwrer 431|yui|qwer|opws 123|asdf|pol|njio Here My first record and last record are duplicates.As per my requirement I want all the latest records into one file. I want the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove duplicates in flat file

Hi all, I have a issues while loading a flat file to the DB. It is taking much time. When analyzed i found out that there are duplicates entry in the flat file. There are 2 type of Duplicate entry. 1) is entire row is duplicate. ( i can use sort | uniq) to remove the duplicated entry. 2) the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjoshuab
4 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-[csCS][x] [kKgGw][N] tTeEnyjhHmz] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
The rs utility reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array accord- ing to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The following options are available: -cx Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -sx Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -Cx Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -Sx Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -kN Ignore the first N lines of input. -KN Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -gN The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -GN The gutter width has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Normally, the output is padded with blanks. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -wN The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -z Adapt column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
The rs utility can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell(1), du(1), file(1), look(1), nm(1), who(1), and wc(1)) into a convenient ``window'' format, as in % who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use % rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with % jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T > tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try % rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. Multibyte characters are not recognized. BSD
July 30, 2004 BSD