Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX platform: network interface list Post 302371010 by jgobbur on Friday 13th of November 2009 06:23:45 AM
Old 11-13-2009
AIX platform: network interface list

Hi,

I am trying to list all the interface present in the given system.
Here is sample program.
i.e. cat 1.c

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/dlpi.h>
#include <net/if.h>
/*#include <sys/sockio.h>*/
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <strings.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <netdb.h>

void num_of_interfaces(void);

void
in_getaddr(char *s, struct sockaddr *saddr)
{
struct sockaddr_in *sin = (struct sockaddr_in *) saddr;
struct hostent *hp;
struct netent *np;
int error;
char str[BUFSIZ];

(void) memset(sin, 0, sizeof (*sin));
(void) strncpy(str, s, sizeof(str));

hp = getipnodebyname(str, AF_INET, 0, &error);
if (!hp) {
perror("getipnodebyname");
return;
}
freehostent(hp);

sin->sin_family = AF_INET;
(void) memcpy(&sin->sin_addr, hp->h_addr, hp->h_length);
}

void num_of_interfaces()
{

struct ifreq lifr;
int n;
char *buf;
int s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
//struct ifnum lifn;
struct ifconf lifc;
struct ifreq *lifrp;
struct ifreq lifrl; /* Local lifreq struct */
int numifs;
unsigned bufsize;
// int64_t lifc_flags = LIFC_NOXMIT;

// lifn.lifn_family = AF_UNSPEC;
// lifn.lifn_flags = lifc_flags;
// if (ioctl(s, SIOCGLIFNUM, (char *)&lifn) < 0) {
/* Could not determine number of interfaces */
// exit(2);
//}
numifs = 10;
// printf("numifs is %d\n",numifs);
bufsize = numifs * sizeof (struct ifreq);
if ((buf = (char *)malloc(bufsize)) == NULL) {
/* out of memory */
close(s);
exit(1);
}
memset(buf, 0, sizeof(bufsize));

// lifc.ifc_family = AF_UNSPEC;
// lifc.ifc_flags = lifc_flags;
lifc.ifc_len = bufsize;
lifc.ifc_buf = buf;

if (ioctl(s, SIOCGIFCONF, (char *)&lifc) < 0) {
free(buf);
exit(1);
}
lifrp = lifc.ifc_req;

for (n = numifs ; n > 0; n--, lifrp++) {

(void) close(s);
if (s == -1) {
exit(1);
}
/* print the name of the interface */
printf("%s\n", lifrp->ifr_name);
}
if (buf != NULL)
free(buf);
}

int
main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
int errors = 0,choice=0;
choice=atoi(argv[1]);
if (choice == 0)
num_of_interfaces();
return 0;
}

output:
bash-3.00$ ./a.out 0
en0

Actual machine has 4 interface but it is listing first one only.
Pls let me know what could be the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Interface

Hi ! Does anyone know how can i get information about my network interface ... if it works in half or full duplex mode !! Thx in adivance ! Witt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
4 Replies

2. Programming

retrieving network interface list

Hello I have a problem with retreiving network interface list using IOCTLs. I have 4 interfaces: $ ip addr 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo inet6 ::1/128 scope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

3. AIX

How restart the network interface in AIX?

Hi All, Please let me know the command to restart the network interface and enable it on boot in AIX, similar to /etc/init.d/network restart in Redhat. Thanks, Sunil.K please watch out to post in the right subforum! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilrk07
9 Replies

4. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

5. Linux

Help Me: How to set ARP stale time interval on linux platform for Ipv6 interface

Hi, Can any one please help me increase the arp stale time of an ipv6 interface on linux platform ? I have tried increasing the variable gc_stale_time but that doesnt work. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkothapa
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

Network interface-

Hello, Please what's the difference between: AND Thank you so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

network interface -

Hello, Please, how can i create a network interface with a routable IP address on linux (ubuntu) ? AND How can i desactivate an interface? Thank you so much for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

9. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies
msgsnap(2)							   System Calls 							msgsnap(2)

NAME
msgsnap - message queue snapshot operation SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/msg.h> msgsnap(int msqid, void *buf, size_t bufsz, long msgtyp); DESCRIPTION
The msgsnap() function reads all of the messages of type msgtyp from the queue associated with the message queue identifier specified by msqid and places them in the user-defined buffer pointed to by buf. The buf argument points to a user-defined buffer that on return will contain first a buffer header structure: struct msgsnap_head { size_t msgsnap_size; /* bytes used/required in the buffer */ size_t msgsnap_nmsg; /* number of messages in the buffer */ }; followed by msgsnap_nmsg messages, each of which starts with a message header: struct msgsnap_mhead { size_t msgsnap_mlen; /* number of bytes in the message */ long msgsnap_mtype; /* message type */ }; and followed by msgsnap_mlen bytes containing the message contents. Each subsequent message header is located at the first byte following the previous message contents, rounded up to a sizeof(size_t) bound- ary. The bufsz argument specifies the size of buf in bytes. If bufsz is less than sizeof(msgsnap_head), msgsnap() fails with EINVAL. If bufsz is insufficient to contain all of the requested messages, msgsnap() succeeds but returns with msgsnap_nmsg set to 0 and with msgsnap_size set to the required size of the buffer in bytes. The msgtyp argument specifies the types of messages requested as follows: o If msgtyp is 0, all of the messages on the queue are read. o If msgtyp is greater than 0, all messages of type msgtyp are read. o If msgtyp is less than 0, all messages with type less than or equal to the absolute value of msgtyp are read. The msgsnap() function is a non-destructive operation. Upon completion, no changes are made to the data structures associated with msqid. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, msgsnap() returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The msgsnap() function will fail if: EACCES Operation permission is denied to the calling process. See intro(2). EINVAL The msqid argument is not a valid message queue identifier or the value of bufsz is less than sizeof(struct msgsnap_head). EFAULT The buf argument points to an illegal address. USAGE
The msgsnap() function returns a snapshot of messages on a message queue at one point in time. The queue contents can change immediately following return from msgsnap(). EXAMPLES
Example 1: msgsnap() example This is sample C code indicating how to use the msgsnap function (see msgids(2)). void process_msgid(int msqid) { size_t bufsize; struct msgsnap_head *buf; struct msgsnap_mhead *mhead; int i; /* allocate a minimum-size buffer */ buf = malloc(bufsize = sizeof(struct msgsnap_head)); /* read all of the messages from the queue */ for (;;) { if (msgsnap(msqid, buf, bufsize, 0) != 0) { perror("msgsnap"); free(buf); return; } if (bufsize >= buf->msgsnap_size) /* we got them all */ break; /* we need a bigger buffer */ buf = realloc(buf, bufsize = buf->msgsnap_size); } /* process each message in the queue (there may be none) */ mhead = (struct msgsnap_mhead *)(buf + 1); /* first message */ for (i = 0; i < buf->msgsnap_nmsg; i++) { size_t mlen = mhead->msgsnap_mlen; /* process the message contents */ process_message(mhead->msgsnap_mtype, (char *)(mhead+1), mlen); /* advance to the next message header */ mhead = (struct msgsnap_mhead *) ((char *)mhead + sizeof(struct msgsnap_mhead) + ((mlen + sizeof(size_t) - 1) & ~(sizeof(size_t) - 1))); } free(buf); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ipcrm(1), ipcs(1), intro(2), msgctl(2), msgget(2), msgids(2), msgrcv(2), msgsnd(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 8 Mar 2000 msgsnap(2)