Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions String editing using sed? awk? Post 302370918 by peage1475 on Thursday 12th of November 2009 11:22:16 PM
Old 11-13-2009
Yeah that does help, and thank you so much for helping me. However I think that another reason it is not working is that I am not using the cat | read correctly. I created a file that contains a path to some file then I used cat on it and piped it to read like so:
Code:
cat tmp1 | read testvar
echo $testvar

Nothing was printed by echo, I am thinking that my syntax is off or something and that is another reason why this is not working for me. I have tried finding out how to do this but I cannot find anything nor can I figure it out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing File using awk/sed

Hello Awk Gurus, Can anyone of you help me with the below problem. I have got a file having data in below format pmFaultyTransportBlocks ----------------------- 9842993 pmFrmNoOfDiscRachFrames ----------------------- NULL pmNoRecRandomAccSuccess -----------------------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed - getting string instead of number

Hi! I am writing a script handling downloading list of files and I have to check whether file is present locally and if not finished than continue downloading. To do so I have to compare sizes of remote file and local file. To check remote file size I have to parse something like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrwath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk editing help

Hi all I use aix (sadly). I've got a file consisting of fields separated by commas, I need a sed or awk command that will delete all spaces between two commas as long as there are only spaces between the commas. eg ,abc, ,sd , ,dr at would become ,abc,,sd ,,dr at I have... (53 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychmose
53 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

match string exactly with awk/sed

Hi all, I have a list that I would like to parse with awk/sed. The list is contains entries such as: JournalTitle: Biochemistry JournalTitle: Biochemistry and cell biology = Biochimie et biologie cellulaire JournalTitle: Biochemistry and experimental biology JournalTitle: Biochemistry and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed awk to remove the , in a string

Dear All, Can anyone help to remove the , bewteen "" in a string by using sed or awk? e.g. input : 1,4,5,"abcdef","we,are,here",4,"help hep" output:1,4,5,"abcdef","wearehere",4,"help hep" Thanks, Mimi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)