Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Console Setup for RS-232 port on 9131-52A Post 302370814 by mrmurdock on Thursday 12th of November 2009 12:58:06 PM
Old 11-12-2009
Console Setup for RS-232 port on 9131-52A

Hi,
I have tried to setup the console on a Power5 9131-52A type IBM Server. On the back there are 2 RS-232 ports labeled T1 T2. I am going under the assuming that these are the serial ports (Normally the serial ports are S1 S0). When I finish assigning the console under smit, I get no response back from the pc running hyperterm connected to T1 (38400, N, 8, 1, and No flow control)
I dont care if its a web interface I need to configure (ASMI), but, I just need to know if that server supports rs-232 consoles or not?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console access via serial port - settings

looking for the answer to console port access via 25pin serial. Can i tip in from another unix box for access? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simplimarvelous
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to setup a PORT

Hi there, I need to specify a port on my server (Linux Red Hat 7.2) so that when I access it throgh the browser it forwards me to a certain webpage or folder on the server. For example, when I write http://domain.com: on the client side, it takes me to an administrator webpage on the server.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAS
5 Replies

3. Solaris

When connecting to console port (db-25) sends break

Does anyone know how to disable this: When I plug a console cable into the back of a sun box using the DB-25 interface, it sends the box to the ok prompt. I heard thiere is a way to disable this, but I have not had luck finding it. Thanks in advance!! Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

printer port setup

Does anybody know how to add a printer from network in Solaris 10 using IP settings? according to our IT support, in order to add this printer in Windows XP we introduce it as a local printer which is connected to a port with an IP address, like 128.79.44.110. Anyway I don't know how it can be done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arash05
3 Replies

5. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

6. AIX

SMC multi port Printserver setup on AIX 6.1

Hi Guys, I have SMC 3 port print server would liek to create 3 queues for each port , please advice what port name or number should be used while creating the quues , I have hpjetdirect and I have tried raw1, raw2 and raw3 on it and it works but it doesnt work for SMC , please advice. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Valeed
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to access to p5 9131 AIX system

Hi, I am very newbie with AIX system. I have changed the default IP address 192.168.2.147 of HMC1 to our LAN IP address. I can ping to the new ip address but unable to access to ASMI again with the new ip address. Is there a way that I can connect to the console or can reset to the default... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
20 Replies

9. Web Development

Setup Serial Port

I need to set a serial port to 9600 7E1. How do I accomplish this? I've tried every combination, with no luck. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
6 Replies
UART(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UART(4)

NAME
uart -- driver for Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter (UART) devices SYNOPSIS
device uart device puc device uart device scc device uart In /boot/device.hints: hint.uart.0.disabled="1" hint.uart.0.baud="38400" hint.uart.0.port="0x3f8" hint.uart.0.flags="0x10" With flags encoded as: 0x00010 device is potential system console 0x00080 use this port for remote kernel debugging 0x00100 set RX FIFO trigger level to ``low'' (NS8250 only) 0x00200 set RX FIFO trigger level to ``medium low'' (NS8250 only) 0x00400 set RX FIFO trigger level to ``medium high'' (default, NS8250 only) 0x00800 set RX FIFO trigger level to ``high'' (NS8250 only) DESCRIPTION
The uart device driver provides support for various classes of UARTs implementing the EIA RS-232C (CCITT V.24) serial communications inter- face. Each such interface is controlled by a separate and independent instance of the uart driver. The primary support for devices that contain multiple serial interfaces or that contain other functionality besides one or more serial interfaces is provided by the puc(4), or scc(4) device drivers. However, the serial interfaces of those devices that are managed by the puc(4), or scc(4) driver are each indepen- dently controlled by the uart driver. As such, the puc(4), or scc(4) driver provides umbrella functionality for the uart driver and hides the complexities that are inherent when elementary components are packaged together. The uart driver has a modular design to allow it to be used on differing hardware and for various purposes. In the following sections the components are discussed in detail. Options are described in the section that covers the component to which each option applies. CORE COMPONENT At the heart of the uart driver is the core component. It contains the bus attachments and the low-level interrupt handler. HARDWARE DRIVERS The core component and the kernel interfaces talk to the hardware through the hardware interface. This interface serves as an abstraction of the hardware and allows varying UARTs to be used for serial communications. SYSTEM DEVICES System devices are UARTs that have a special purpose by way of hardware design or software setup. For example, Sun UltraSparc machines use UARTs as their keyboard interface. Such an UART cannot be used for general purpose communications. Likewise, when the kernel is configured for a serial console, the corresponding UART will in turn be a system device so that the kernel can output boot messages early on in the boot process. KERNEL INTERFACES The last but not least of the components is the kernel interface. This component ultimately determines how the UART is made visible to the kernel in particular and to users in general. The default kernel interface is the TTY interface. This allows the UART to be used for termi- nals, modems and serial line IP applications. System devices, with the notable exception of serial consoles, generally have specialized ker- nel interfaces. HARDWARE
The uart driver supports the following classes of UARTs: o NS8250: standard hardware based on the 8250, 16450, 16550, 16650, 16750 or the 16950 UARTs. o SCC: serial communications controllers supported by the scc(4) device driver. FILES
/dev/ttyu? for callin ports /dev/ttyu?.init /dev/ttyu?.lock corresponding callin initial-state and lock-state devices /dev/cuau? for callout ports /dev/cuau?.init /dev/cuau?.lock corresponding callout initial-state and lock-state devices SEE ALSO
puc(4), scc(4) HISTORY
The uart device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.2. AUTHORS
The uart device driver and this manual page were written by Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>. BSD
March 12, 2008 BSD