Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about awk commands
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about awk commands Post 302370532 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 06:34:01 PM
Old 11-11-2009
that means its a messily written code with a lot of redundant process and useless cat
Code:
awk -F":" '
{
   m=split($5,a,",")
   print tolower(a[1])
}
' /etc/passwd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about batched commands

Hi everyone I am a newbbie in the linux enviroment. My problem is: I have tried to use the at command to compile and keep running a program and close the terminal window. Every time I use the at command I get the next error "Can't open /var/run/atd.pid to signal atd. No atd running?" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fenixbeta
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh commands in ksh question

Is there a way to shorten these commands? because this script asks for a password 3 times scp -p /usr/local/bin/${script_name} ${servername$iy]}://usr/local/bin/ ssh ${servernames} /usr/local/bin/${script_name} ssh ${servernames} rm -f /usr/local/bin/${script_name} Basically, I'm creating a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about shell commands...

Hello, I have the following is a txt file: !!! man.uni.com address 141.000.001 to you.uni.com !!! man.uni.com address 141.000.002 to wae1.uni.com !!! man.uni.com address 141.000.003 to kim2.uni.com I want to get you,wae and kim from the text and put them in a diffrent file in the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew1400
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we use multiple commands with AWK

Hi, I have a scenario where in, I have a file named abc.txt. I extract the file names from it using. awk '/dbf$/{print $NF}' abc.txt /u01/oradata/omc/systab/omcdef.dbf /u01/oradata/omc/oratemp/temptab1.dbf Now I need to further enhance this command and also extract the mount point... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: geetap
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob scripting question with android ADB commands

Hi I'm pretty new to scripting and I've been googling around looking for an answer but have yet to come up with a proper solution. I work with multiple android devices at a time and I'm looking to simplify my life with a script. Basically I'm looking for a script that takes the device ID's and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onyoursix
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner UNIX question. tail and find commands

hey guys, i'm in a unix course.. and while this is a homework question - i did put alittle effort into it. just wanted to ask before trial and error drives me nuts. question 13 has us saving the last 30 characters of a file into another file and question 14 has us saving the list of all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: labelthief
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands question

if ] then rm -rf Can anyone tell me what are they checking in the if loop Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands question

I am using HP-UXsystem. I am unable to use the below sed commands. could you please let us know the alternate commands for it. >sed '/unix/ c "Change line"' file.txt sed '/unix/ i "Add a new line"' file.txt any inputs please (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me in awk commands

can you please let me know what does the below awk command does. awk 'NR>2{printf "%-30s %-15s\n", $1, !($4)?$2:$4;}' result.txt (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK commands, in different OS

I have developed a bash shell script which works perfectly fine when any bash shell is in use except SunOS. There are two commands that is not compatible. #!/usr/bin/env bash Problem 1. The awk command below does not work for SunOS Requirement We extract Oracle EBS tables into text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuuunnnn
9 Replies
TOLOWER(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						TOLOWER(3)

NAME
tolower -- upper case to lower case letter conversion LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int tolower(int c); DESCRIPTION
The tolower() function converts an upper-case letter to the corresponding lower-case letter. RETURN VALUES
If the argument is an upper-case letter, the tolower() function returns the corresponding lower-case letter if there is one; otherwise the argument is returned unchanged. SEE ALSO
ctype(3), isalnum(3), isalpha(3), isascii(3), iscntrl(3), isdigit(3), isgraph(3), islower(3), isprint(3), ispunct(3), isspace(3), isupper(3), isxdigit(3), stdio(3), toascii(3), toupper(3), ascii(7) STANDARDS
The tolower() function conforms to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). CAVEATS
The argument to tolower() must be EOF or representable as an unsigned char; otherwise, the behavior is undefined. See the CAVEATS section of ctype(3) for more details. BSD
April 17, 2008 BSD