Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TAR OVER SSH
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAR OVER SSH Post 302370474 by Neo on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 01:50:02 PM
Old 11-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman
I want to send ti to tape....how can I do that?
That depends on your platform and the name of your tape device.

What is the name of your tape device?

Normally, people use the cpio command to send data to a tape device, BTW.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help scripting tar over ssh

Hello - I've used 'expect' in FTP scripts before without any problems, but am unsure as to how I would script a tar over ssh session? I need to send password for authentication to the remote Suse machine. :confused: Any assistance provided would be GREATLY appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar utility (untar a .tar file) on VxWorks

Hi All Can someone pls guide me if there any utility to compress file on windows & uncompress on vxworks I tried as - - compressed some folders on windows ... i created .tar ( to maintain directory structure ) and compressed to .gz format. - on VxWorks i have uncompressed it to .tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uday_01
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

tar/untar over ssh

I use red hat linux. I have two linux server . I want to use tar over ssh to tar and untar the file. The server A , have IP 10.1.1.a ,there is dir a and contain files. The server B have IP 10.1.1.b , there is dir b and contain file . So, in above case ,how can I tar over ssh sunc that the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect script pushing ssh keys w/ tar extract

ok, I'm new to the forum and I did a few searches and didn't find much on this so here goes. I have a ksh I use to call an expect script that opens a ssh session and then extracts a tar file. The tar file has my prefered .profile and my ssh keys. I want to run this script 1 time on new servers and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtsonoma
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ssh,tar and logging

Hi, I'm successfully written a script which tar a directory and ssh's it over a remote server tar cfv - $SDIR | ssh $RHOST "cat > $DDIR/backup.$BKPEXT.tar" However, Im unable to log the activity to a file. i.e for example if I do tar cfv - $SDIR | ssh $RHOST "cat >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ssh tar file using slave node

Hi, I wanted to zip some files (very large files) on our cluster (centOS). I am told that I should use the head node for this as it would tie down the CPU. How can I do this using one of the other nodes in the cluster? For small files, I would just log into the cluster using ssh (ie. ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pc2001
1 Replies
dds-dd(1)						      General Commands Manual							 dds-dd(1)

NAME
dds-dd - tool to read a dds device. SYNOPSIS
dds-dd [ -f device ] DESCRIPTION
dds-dd reads a dds tape devices (DAT). Every block is read and written to stdout. A tape with unknown block size or blocks of different size can be read. The default device is /dev/rmt0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
-f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/rmt0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | tar ft - Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | cpio -it ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/rmt0. SEE ALSO dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 dds-dd(1)