Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating tar excluding links
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating tar excluding links Post 302370416 by TonyLawrence on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 09:41:43 AM
Old 11-11-2009
I assume you mean symlinks?

I'd use "find" with -type.

If you many ANY link, you are going to need to construct a list (not hard with ls -li sorted by inum) and then remove the dupes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excluding directories while using tar

How do I exclude some directories while creating a tar file with a number of directories? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

tar backup with excluding some folders

Hi , I want to backup the root file system but the size of / is very huge so I want to exclude some file systems.Man page of tar says X option excludes files but I could not do that.I use this command $ tar -cvf deneme.tar -X exc . $ cat exc sql kkm I think there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kudret_gulcan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Excluding files using tar cXzf

Hi All, I'm having trouble with creating a compressed tar file with tar cXzfv and even with normal cvXf I created a simple test below.. can anyone spot the mistake I'm making??.. its driving me up the wall.. In the end I need a compressed tarball.... Thanks in advance!! Sam ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampipe
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding directories in tar

In a bash script I am writing I am having a problem excluding selected directories from tar. From the machine $SERVER I issue the command #start netcat on storage server gnetcat -l -vv -p 2011 >$FILEPATH/$SHORT_NAME.$today.tar & The the following command is then sent to the $CLIENT. #start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating tar file for subdirs, excluding one and preserving user info

Hi All, I am not one of the super users / root for AIX 5.3 system. There is a filesystem Say /DIR1 and its has several subdirs in it say SUBDIR1, SUBDIR2, SUBDIR3. Can I create a tar file for all files under DIR1 and SUBDIR1, SUBDIR3. Excluding SIBDIR2? Also how can I preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excluding a file from tar...

The title is not as easy as it sounds.... I am trying to exclude and file while ssh and untaring the file on the fly. The command I am using is... The command typically works but recently I've add the X option along with the exclude file. Essentially, the exclude file is being ignored when run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding file from tar

Hello i am using HP-UX rapdb2 B.11.23 U ia64 1068321383 unlimited-user license. I am tryiyng to exclude for tar all files that start with TOT* but i doues not work I am using: tar -cvf /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/backup.tar --exclude='TOT*' and i get the error: tar: cannot stat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file excluding all hard links

I have a problem with tar. Taring a folder with a lot of contents, causes the tar to contain hard links to some files, seen with the same name but 0 in size. The hard links don't exist in the first place. How can I prevent that from happening? I am using the -T option with either -n or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar this dir excluding some files .au?

Hi all, Thanks for previous help. How to include this in script, I need to tar files which are present in /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory (used for crontab) excluding those files which are having extension .au /var/spool/cron/crontabs>>ls -ltr | grep -v .au total 438 -rw------- 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

10. AIX

Excluding directory in my tar Backup

Hello AIX experts. Hope this topic finds you well :) Now, I will take a backup for a directory called medcbs. Inside this directory 1 subdirectory I don't want to include it in the backup. So, how to exclude it? To be more clear, take a look to the following: /bossapp1/medcbs>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies
EMGRIP-DUPES(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   EMGRIP-DUPES(1)

NAME
emgrip-dupes - find packages listed in more than one component Synopsis Syntax: emgrip-dupes -b PATH [OPTIONS] emgrip-dupes -b PATH -m|--merge NAME [OPTIONS] emgrip-dupes -b PATH -p|--purge NAME [OPTIONS] emgrip-dupes -?|-h|--help|--version Commands: -b|--base-path PATH: path to the top level grip directory [required] -a|--arch ARCHITECTURE: architecture to test [default: i386] -m|--merge NAMES: retain this duplicate at the latest version in all -p|--purge NAMES: remove the duplicates from 'main' -t|--trim NAMES: retain the duplicates in main only -?|-h|--help|--version: print this help message and exit Options: --grip-name STRING: alternative name for the grip repository -s|--suite SUITE: suite to check (default: unstable) -n|--dry-run: print the reprepro commands that would be used. Description emgrip-dupes scans the Grip repository Packages data and configuration, identifies the supported list of components in the requested suite. In some cases, these duplicates are useful and only a small amount of space is taken up by the extra listing. However, the version in one component can easily be out of sync with the version in another. The main emphasis is on the size of the Packages file for the 'main' component (the one that every user needs to download). Purge mode will remove the listing of the specified package from 'main'. Merge mode will bring the outdated version into line with the most recent version of the package so that all components list the most recent version. Limitations Next step is to automate the "correction" of the duplicates but this does need care. Manual corrections involve identifying the packages to retain in main (where the duplicate in dev, doc or debug is not wanted) and pass those to --trim. The more complex case is to remove from main (e.g. package name suffix is -dev or -doc or -dbg or the Section is devel, dbg, doc or libdevel). emgrip-dupes --purge removes each binary separately because removing the package from main in a single operation will also remove the source. This is a particular problem if the source package also builds binary packages that are intended for main, e.g. dbus. Copyright and Licence Copyright (C) 2009 Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> This package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. perl v5.12.3 2011-03-27 EMGRIP-DUPES(1)