Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Require help to sort string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Require help to sort string Post 302370140 by sathik on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 02:21:12 AM
Old 11-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
If this is to be a regular process it is very complex because of the alphabetic month abbreviations and the absence of the year in the data.
Surely this would be better as a full blown SQL program which could deduce the year, translate the data into a sortable format, sort to order and run the required SQL.

Hi methyl,

or I can select another one column also with that partition name as below.

SQL> select partition_name,high_value from user_tab_partitions where table_name='USER_AUDIT';
PARTITION_NAME HIGH_VALUE
------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PARTMAX MAXVALUE
SAS_AUDIT_NOV02 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-02 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_NOV08 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-08 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_NOV14 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-14 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_OCT27 TO_DATE(' 2009-10-27 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA

is there any way to sort with the help of high value column?

---------- Post updated 11-11-09 at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous update was 11-10-09 at 01:26 PM ----------

hi Folks,

Can anybody help me to sort the below output?

PARTITION_NAME HIGH_VALUE
------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAS_AUDIT_NOV02 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-02 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_NOV08 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-08 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_NOV14 TO_DATE(' 2009-11-14 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA
SAS_AUDIT_OCT27 TO_DATE(' 2009-10-27 00:00:00', 'SYYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', 'NLS_CALENDAR=GREGORIA

This output will be stored in a file. From that I can print the date only as below by using cat output.lst|awk '{print $3}'|sort -n

2009-10-27
2009-11-02
2009-11-08
2009-11-14

Now I need to take the partition_ name of oldest date. In this scenario, the oldest date is 2009-10-27 and corresponding partition_name is SAS_AUDIT_OCT27. So I need the output as below.

Required output:
============
SAS_AUDIT_OCT27

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a string with numbers

Hi, I need help to sort a file contents. I am using sort -r option to basically reverse the comparison in descending order. However, i found out that my file is not sorted according, can anyone please help. My data is something like:- Hello world 20.982342864 343 19.234355545 222... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort entire line based on part of the string

hey gurus, my-build1-abc my-build10-abc my-build2-abc my-build22-abc my-build3-abc basically i want to numerically sort the entire lines based on the build number. I dont zero pad the numbers because thats "how it is" ;-) sort -n won't work because it starts from the beginning. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpal2000
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort based on string lenght.

I'm not familiar with find. If i use find in a certain directory i want it to show based on hierarchy. find . type d fol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol2 fol2/subfol2 i want it to show like this fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1 fol2/subfol2 fol2 do i need to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort lines in the string

Hi guys, I am trying to sort numbers in the string in descending order but for some reason sort fails. n129$ echo "81 240" | sort -r 81 240 n129$ I am not sure what am I doing wrong. Is there a 100% reliable way to make sure that sort will always work. I mean on SUNS and IBM machines. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a hash based on the string length of the values

Hi, I want to be able to sort/print a hash based on the string length of the values. For example %hash = ( key1 => 'jeri', key2 => 'corona', key3 => 'una, ); I want to be able to print in the following order (smallest to largest) una,jeri,corona OR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdilts
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort String using awk

Hi, I need help to sort string using awk. I don't want to use sed or perl as I want to add this functionality in my existing awk script Basically I have a variable in AWK which is string with comma separated value. I want to sort that string before using that variable in further processing for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky.community
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort only numbers within a string

Hi, I am having contents in a file like below, cat testfile rpool/swap rpool/swap14 rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 I want to sort the above contents like, rpool/swap rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 rpool/swap14 I have tried in this way, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort file data according to a custom list of string

I have a string of pre defined ip address list which will always remain constant their order will never change like in below sample: iplist=8.8.5.19,9.7.5.14,12.9.9.23,8.8.8.14,144.1.113 In the above example i m considering only 5 ips but there could be many more. Now i have a file which... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
15 Replies
SLABTOP(1)							Linux User's Manual							SLABTOP(1)

NAME
slabtop - display kernel slab cache information in real time SYNOPSIS
slabtop [options] DESCRIPTION
slabtop displays detailed kernel slab cache information in real time. It displays a listing of the top caches sorted by one of the listed sort criteria. It also displays a statistics header filled with slab layer information. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of slabtop does not require any options. The behavior, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the fol- lowing flags: --delay=n, -d n Refresh the display every n in seconds. By default, slabtop refreshes the display every three seconds. To exit the program, hit q. --sort=S, -s S Sort by S, where S is one of the sort criteria. --once, -o Display the output once and then exit. --version, -V Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit. SORT CRITERIA
The following are valid sort criteria used to sort the individual slab caches and thereby determine what are the "top" slab caches to dis- play. The default sort criteria is to sort by the number of objects ("o"). The sort criteria can also be changed while slabtop is running by pressing the associated character. a: sort by number of active objects b: sort by objects per slab c: sort by cache size l: sort by number of slabs v sort by number of active slabs n: sort by name o: sort by number of objects p: sort by pages per slab s: sort by object size u: sort by cache utilization COMMANDS
slabtop accepts keyboard commands from the user during use. The following are supported. In the case of letters, both cases are accepted. Each of the valid sort characters are also accepted, to change the sort routine. See the section SORT CRITERIA. <SPACEBAR> Refresh the screen. Q Quit the program. FILES
/proc/slabinfo slab information SEE ALSO
free(1), ps(1), top(1), vmstat(8) NOTES
Currently, slabtop requires a 2.4 or later kernel (specifically, a version 1.1 or later /proc/slabinfo). Kernel 2.2 should be supported in the future. The slabtop statistic header is tracking how many bytes of slabs are being used and it not a measure of physical memory. The 'Slab' field in the /proc/meminfo file is tracking information about used slab physical memory. AUTHORS
Written by Chris Rivera and Robert Love. slabtop was inspired by Martin Bligh's perl script, vmtop. The procps package is maintained by Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net>. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net>. Linux 13 Sep 2003 SLABTOP(1)