Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Creation notification
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Creation notification Post 302369581 by redhead on Monday 9th of November 2009 05:03:08 AM
Old 11-09-2009
Code:
#!/bin/sh

while [ 1 ]; do                        # Run for as long as nessesary
  if [ -f /some/where/a/file ]; then   # If filename exists and has the apropriate name
    echo "File is found"               # Notify and stop monitoring
    exit 0
  fi
  sleep 60                             # Else wait a minut and see again
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail notification on file generation

I'm very new to unix. I need help in writing a shell script that will automatically take output file from a particular folder from a server and if the file is generated send email notifications to certain group of ppl and if it is not generated send a mail wid error msg.. can any1 help me on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anzie.sharma
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file generation and mail notification

I'm very new to unix. I need help in writing a shell script that will automatically take output file from a particular folder from a server and if the file is generated send email notifications to certain group of ppl and if it is not generated send a mail wid error msg.. can any1 help me on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anzie.sharma
4 Replies

3. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with creating a text file in perl with file creation date.

Hi, I am quite new to Perl scripting and i need to create a .TXT file using perl, with fields (A,B,C,D,E), and this text file should be named with current file creation date "XYZ_CCYYMMDD.TXT" (i.e.XYZ_2011042514:33 PM). Can anyone who has done this, please share their expertise on this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification as popups when a file being written

I would like to know Is it possible to get a notification as pop-up in linux when a folder with extension '.aqs' written a popup should come as " The folder has been written " Thank you in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bal_nair
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification of the modification of a specific entry in a file

I need to get notification via email when the line containing a pattern is changed in a file. Not during the time any changes to file occurs. Ie if we reset a user password say example, demouser the hash in the line containing the word demouser in the file /etc/group changes. So when this change... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

7. AIX

Email Notification if file exist in AIX

hi, I want to the AIX to check if file exist everyday and send me notification email. I added this to the root file in /var/spool/cron/crontabs 0 10 * * * /usr/sendS40No.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 I tried also 0 10 * * * /usr/sendS40No.sh and in the sendS40No.sh i wrote this if then echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amjad_bl3awy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification of user id creation/deletion

Can someone help me with a shell script that will send an email to a set of email ids when a user id is created or deleted on AIX system. Also, if the script can let the admin know when a particular user id's password will expire. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

User id creation/deletion - notification

Can someone help me with a shell script that will send an email to a set of email ids when a user id is created or deleted on AIX system. Also, if the script can let the admin know when a particular user id's password will expire. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies
SLEEPENH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SLEEPENH(1)

NAME
sleepenh - an enhanced sleep program. SYNOPSIS
sleepenh [initial-time] sleep-time DESCRIPTION
sleepenh is a program that can be used when there is a need to execute some functions periodically in a shell script. It was not designed to be accurate for a single sleep, but to be accurate in a sequence of consecutive sleeps. After a successful execution, it returns to stdout the timestamp it finished running, that can be used as initial-time to a successive exe- cution of sleepenh. OPTIONS
There are no command line options. Run it without any option to get a brief help and version. ARGUMENTS
sleep-time is a real number in seconds, with microseconds resolution (1 minute, 20 seconds and 123456 microseconds would be 80.123456). initial-time is a real number in seconds, with microseconds resolution. This number is system dependent. In GNU/Linux systems, it is the number of seconds since midnight 1970-01-01 GMT. Do not try to get a good value of initial-time. Use the value supplied by a previous exe- cution of sleepenh. If you don't specify initial-time, it is assumed the current-time. EXIT STATUS
An exit status greater or equal to 10 means failure. Known exit status: 0 Success. 1 Success. There was no need to sleep. (means that initial-time + sleep-time was greater than current-time). 10 Failure. Missing command line arguments. 11 Failure. Did not receive SIGALRM. 12 Failure. Argument is not a number. 13 Failure. System error, could not get current time. USAGE EXAMPLE
Suppose you need to send the char 'A' to the serial port ttyS0 every 4 seconds. This will do that: #!/bin/sh TIMESTAMP=`sleepenh 0` while true; do # send the byte to ttyS0 echo -n "A" > /dev/ttyS0; # just print a nice message on screen echo -n "I sent 'A' to ttyS0, time now is "; sleepenh 0; # wait the required time TIMESTAMP=`sleepenh $TIMESTAMP 4.0`; done HINT
This program can be used to get the current time. Just execute: sleepenh 0 BUGS
It is not accurate for a single sleep. Short sleep-times will also not be accurate. SEE ALSO
date(1), sleep(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Pedro Zorzenon Neto. 2008/04/20 SLEEPENH(1)