Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to set mutliple words variable from command line Post 302369320 by TonyLawrence on Saturday 7th of November 2009 01:11:32 PM
Old 11-07-2009
It might also be appropriate to ask why you are using C shell.

If you were weaned on it and just don't want to waste all that you have learned, that's one thing, but far too often people think "Oh, "C" shell. That must be C-like, so it's better".

Generally speaking, it's not. It has very poor redirection abilities and other faults (try searching Google for "Csh Programming Considered Harmful").

If you are going to be doing shell scripting as part of your work, you absolutely want to know Bash - you won't find too many places still using csh for anything (a few very ancient Sun BSD boxes).

And (as you saw here) if you ask for scripting help, most people aren't going to give you an answer using csh - almost always it will be Bash nowadays.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify duplicate words in a line using command

Hi, Let me explain the problem clearly: Let the entries in my file be: lion,tiger,bear apple,mango,orange,apple,grape unix,windows,solaris,windows,linux red,blue,green,yellow orange,maroon,pink,violet,orange,pink Can we detect the lines in which one of the words(separated by field... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan_85
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable command

Hi all, I want to set a variable in ksh shell (prompt) and echo the value. $ set x=5 $echo $x But it is returning null. Can any one please help. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as: cal -y | awk '{print $2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overlapping words on command line

i tried resize command , but it's not working...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav123
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to extend words on a command line ?

within a unix window, how do you setup your session to extend a word, by hitting the "esc" key twice. e.g. ls -la scri (esc key, esc key) thankyou (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias two words command line

Hello, i would like to alias aptitude install for sudo aptitude install, is it possible, and how ? i read the man alias page, but i think i have to use something with \ or { but i don't know exactly what. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlock59
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding words after a set of words

Greetings. I am a UNIX newbies. I am currently facing difficulties dealing with a large data set and I would like to ask for helps. I have a input file like this: ak 1 AAM1 ak 2 AAM1 ak 3 AAM1 ak 11 AMM2 ak 12 AMM2 ak 13 AMM2 ak 14 AMM2 Is there any possibility for me to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

What is the use of command set -- and set - variable?

Hi, I am using hp unix i want to know the use of the following commands set -- set - variable thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomathi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed

Hi, I am trying to print multiple patterns in a line using sed. But it is printing only the last occurance of a pattern. If the line is the the output should be Lookup Procedure|Stored proc But the output I am getting is Stored proc The code I am using is echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
9 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
compares three versions of a file, and prints disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: all three files differ file1 is different file2 is different file3 is different The type of change required to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = or Text is to be changed in the range line n1 through line n2. If n1 = n2, the range can be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Produces a script for the editor that can be used to incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3 (see ed(1)); i.e., the changes that normally would be flagged and Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script that will incorporate all changes between file2 and file3, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that would be flagged with in normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines in both files will be inserted by the edit script bracketed by and lines. Produces a script that will incorporate only changes flagged , but treat these changes in the manner of option. The following command applies the resulting script to file1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Text lines that consist of a single period defeat Files longer than 64K bytes do not work. FILES
SEE ALSO
diff(1). diff3(1)