Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting text file in unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting text file in unix Post 302368739 by durden_tyler on Thursday 5th of November 2009 12:54:24 PM
Old 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA
I am using the following format command for formatting my text file in unix.

awk -F":" '{ printf "%-50s%-1s%-50s\n", $1,":", $2}' filename > targetfile

Is there anything wrong in my command?
Windows has a different set of EOL characters. Use this awk command instead:

Code:
awk -F":" '{ printf "%-50s%-1s%-50s\r\n", $1,":", $2}' filename > targetfile

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file formatting by perl

have a simple text file as input.i have to print that file in paragraph format.whenevr it finds "\n" in the input text it should start printing in next paragraph in output file.also a fixed amount of space should be given before start writing in every paragraph. the input and output file format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avik1983
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file based on newline and delimiter characters

Hi Everybody, I need some help on formatting the files coming into unix box on the fly. I get a file some thing like this in a single line. ISA^M00^M ^M00^M ^M14^M006929681900 ^M01^M095449419 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntekupal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file formatting

Hi all! I'm new in unix, and faced with some difficulties. So I have text file f.e. "textfile" which contains rows like: aaa bbb ccc ddd How could I format it, so the file looks like: aaabbb cccddd Thanks in andvance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: consta.v
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting of the text file

Hi Guys, I have a file with contents in the below format DO_VJ_IDOC;03.23.2009;22:31:09; ZJDO_VJ_IDOC;03.23.2009;22:46:14; ZJDO_RESEND_FAILURES;03.24.2009;01:46:18; Now i need to replace the semicolons with tabs for which i am usig the sed command which gives the O/p as below ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit.shetty84
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the text file using shell script

How to add the filename to end of each line with | as seperator, except first and last line of the file(s) in directories(with diff tree structure) using shell script?. And also how to replace a list of strings with another set of strings, which is present in a file?. Kindly help out on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing and Formatting the text file

hi, I need a script which can format the below text file which contains comments file1.txt -------- //START //Name: some value //Date: //Changes:............. //..................... //END //START //Date: //Name: some value //Changes:............. //..................... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with formatting file in UNIX

hi, please help me with the below 1)i have a file like below with data 389096 389097 389098 ..and i need some thing like below '389096','ZZ1111' '389097','ZZ1111' '389098','ZZ1111' 2)i have a file like below with data 8300003225 8300003223 8300006494 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kr123
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Formatting the text file

Hi All, I ahve requirement where I want to put the text file in into proper format. I am wondering how can i achieve that:- Host/Alias Name IP Address Resolved sinuiy01.infra.go2uti.com 10.240.8.158 N sinuid20.devtst.go2uti.com 10.240.8.230 N sinuid21.devtst.go2uti.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file

Hi All :), I have a formatting question and I am unsure on how I should proceed with my bash shell script. I am unsure weather to use perl or simply edit it in bash. I prefer bash but I am only aware of the awk utility to extract parts of a file, not edit output. Scenario: I have a file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstrizzy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting text file

Hi All, how to format text Thanks (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
19 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)