Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: creation timestamp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers creation timestamp Post 302368307 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 4th of November 2009 02:43:19 PM
Old 11-04-2009
IT is not creation it is mtime - modification time. Unix in general has no creation time.
Consider this output from ls -l
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x   2 anner   anner1      1915 May  7  2009 uzpaban.shl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anner   anner1     19372 May  8  2009 UZPMBLP
-rwxr-xr-x   2 anner   anner1      7307 May  8 19:35 uzprsql.shl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anner   anner1    447988 May 11 06:43 urrmtrx.old

Notice May 8. May 8 is 180 days in the past. I ran this at 12:41 local time, Nov 4.
Any file that is EXACTLY 180 days 00H 00S older than the time you run the ls -l gets
the year added and the time as HH:MI removed.

Any file younger than that gets no year but the time in HH:MI is added in.

This is the default behavior for ls.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of different timestamp to standard timestamp

hi i need a scrit to convert one date format to another. for example i have three columns in a file which gets a different format, but lastly i want output with stadard timestamp as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" column1 column2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dprakash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing file creation timestamp

Hi all, I have a file in my the directory as -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 unix 260315 Mar 10 12:04 test.xml. I need to retouch it as -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 unix 260315 Mar 9 11:04 test.xml. Is there a way to achieve this? thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathich
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files based on creation timestamp

Dear friends.. I have the below listing of files under a directory in unix -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 263349631 Jun 1 11:18 CDLD_20110603032055.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 267918241 Jun 1 11:21 CDLD_20110603032104.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 257672513 Jun 3 10:41... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a date field has date or timestamp or date&timestamp

Hi, In a field, I should receive the date with time stamp in a particular field. But sometimes the vendor sends just the date or the timestamp or correctl the date&timestamp. I have to figure out the the data is a date or time stamp or date&timestamp. If it is date then append "<space>00:00:00"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)