Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Running unix command from windows? How? Post 302367758 by pogdorica on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 11:04:42 AM
Old 11-03-2009
Hi.

You can read about "UWIN - unix for Windows" or Cygwin software.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Updating a csv file held on a unix box with excel running on windows

Hi, my question is quite simple: Can I update a csv file which is held on a unix box (and which a script on the same box uses) with Microsoft Excel running in a windows environment? Or, is there a free spreadsheet package available to run in unix that will update my csv file. I know it's easy to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sn33R
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a UNIX command from Windows

Hi I need to run a UNIX command from Visual C++ Windows program. I was thinking of the Windows program generating a dummy file on the UNIX drive. On the UNIX box I could have a simple FORTRAN porogram searching continually for this dummy file and executes the UNIX command when the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running windows command from Unix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, Is there any way to invoke a Windows command from Unix ?? For eg: I want to track down a user executing a script and want to send him a message through net send in windows .. I am able to get the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running windows command from Unix

Hi, Is there any way to invoke a Windows command from Unix ?? For eg: I want to track down a user executing a script and want to send him a message through net send in windows .. I am able to get the user machines ip ... and since I want my message to be popped up in users screen, wud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Running MS-windows GUI from unix/linux

Hi i need some help , i would like to run a GUI application on windows from unix i dont need to see the gui just to activate it from remote . it shoud be from CLI on the unix . thanks GUY (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koreng
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked. Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D.kalpana
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Running UNIX in windows environment ?

Hi... I have planned to run UNIX application in window environment such as cygwin. Actually, I have download the "cygwin" software but there are some libraries are not applicable in the software. Due to that, anybody know any others unix sofware can be run in windows XP environment ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To access UNIX server from Tk application running on Windows

Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to know that if I make an application in Tk (version of Tcl to create GUI) in windows and want to run to UNIX server, is it possible ? In other words, can I access a UNIX server through a Tk application running on windows ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ratneshnagori
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Running unix script from windows.

Hi All, I need to call a unix script from windows bat file, please help if that can be done. I cant install cygwin or putty or any other ssh on server.....! do we have anything else? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
8 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Can Unix access Windows' File through Command Prompt in Unix

Hi all, I wish to know whether Unix can access window's file in Unix's terminal? Apart from that, how to copy files or share files between Window and Unix? I get to know of secure copy, however, my company's Unix does not support the feature of secure copy? Any other method for me to share/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy83
5 Replies
mkxauth(1x)							Linux User's Manual						       mkxauth(1x)

NAME
mkxauth - create and merge .Xauthority files SYNOPSIS(1) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -c [ host [ host ... ] ] (2) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -m login(3) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -f host(4) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -r host [ -l login ] (5) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -z host [ -l login ] DESCRIPTION
mkxauth aids in the creation and maintenance of X authentication databases (.Xauthority files). Use it to create a ~/.Xauthority file or merge keys from another local or remote .Xauthority file. Remote .Xauthority files can be retrieved via FTP (using ncftp(1)) or via rsh(1). For a slight measure of security, mkxauth does not create any temporary files containing authentication keys (although anyone spy- ing on network packets can see the authentication key data as they pass through the network; for secure network communications, use ssh(1)). Creating and Adding to a .Xauthority File To create a .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -c (see(1) above). mkxauth creates a .Xauthority file in the user's home directory (~/), con- taining a `key' or `magic cookie' for the host it was run on (the one returned by hostname(1)). If a .Xauthority file already exists, the keys are added to it. If keys for that host already exist, they are replaced. To create or add to a .Xauthority file for another user, use mkxauth -u login -c. mkxauth adds keys to ~login/.Xauthority (only the root user is allowed to do this). To add a key for more than one host, specify all hosts on the command line: mkxauth -c daffy porky bugs. All hosts specified on the same command line receive the same key. To create different keys for multiple hosts, run mkxauth for each host in succession: mkxauth -c daffy mkxauth -c porky mkxauth -c bugs Merging Keys from Local .Xauthority Files To merge keys from another local user's .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -m login (see(2) above). mkxauth adds the keys in ~login/.Xauthor- ity to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. ~login/.Xauthority must be readable by the user running mkxauth (normally only the root user can read other people's .Xauthority files). Merging Keys via FTP To merge keys from a remote .Xauthority file via FTP, use mkxauth -f host (see(3) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using ncftp(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. [NOTE: you must have a ~/.netrc file set up to automatically log you into host, otherwise the FTP login attempt will fail.] Merging Keys via rsh(1) To merge keys from remote .Xauthority file via rsh(1), use mkxauth -r host (see(4) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Merging Keys via rsh(1) and gzip(1) If your remote .Xauthority file is large, or to make it slightly less obvious that you're transferring authentication keys over the net- work, mkxauth can gzip(1) your .Xauthority file before retrieving it via rsh(1). To do this, use mkxauth -z host (see(5) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Options To make mkxauth operate quietly, use the -q option. To add to ~login/.Xauthority, use the -u login option. To use login for the remote login in mkxauth -f, mkxauth -r, and mkxauth -z, use the -l login option. Getting Help To get quick help about mkxauth, use mkxauth --help. FILES
~/.Xauthority ~/.netrc ~/.rhosts COMMENTS
mkxauth is mostly useful for maintaining .Xauthority files in an environment which uses startx(1x). xdm(1x) uses its own method of gener- ating .Xauthority files. However, mkxauth is still useful for transferring .Xauthority information to remote login sessions so that the user can display remote X clients on the local host without too much trouble. Note, however, that using rsh(1) is inherently insecure, and sites concerned about security should use ssh(1) instead (see http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/ for more information). SEE ALSO
X(1x), Xsecurity(1x), gzip(1), mcookie(1), md5sum(1), ncftp(1), rsh(1), startx(1x), xauth(1x), xdm(1x) BUGS
Does not respect the XAUTHORITY environment variable. AUTHOR
Conceived and written by Jim Knoble <jmknoble@redhat.com>. Copyright 1996 by Jim Knoble and Red Hat Software. Distributed under the GNU GPL (General Public License); see ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/COPYING for more information. Red Hat Software 12-Dec-1996 mkxauth(1x)