Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting line 5: [: -gt: unary operator expected Post 302367475 by methyl on Monday 2nd of November 2009 07:16:04 PM
Old 11-02-2009
As other posters imply, what is the response to typing this command at the same place where you might execute the script? The error message implies that the response is not a number.
Quote:
awk 'END {print NR}' ecoli_operons
Knowing the Operating System and version would help.
Clutching at straws and if the above command does not give an error message.
1) The environment variable $LINES is reserved in all modern shells. Though I have no factual reason to suggest this, you could try another name for the variable $lines.
2) A script edited on a MSDOS and ported to unix without proper text file conversion could misbehave like this.
3) The trailing semi-colon on "while [ $lines -gt 0 ];" is surplus.
4) How big is the file? Is $lines a very large number (> 2x1024x1024x1024) ?

Last edited by methyl; 11-02-2009 at 08:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unary operator expected error

Hi I am doing a script like if then echo "table name dosent exist" exit fi the problem is if $table_name is null then i am getting the error Please help me Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator expected

hi i am trying to compare a value with value 50. but i am getting " I am using if then echo "------------" fi please help thanks in advance Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: =: unary operator expected

HI, while running a script, I got the below mentioned error. /bin/sh: line10 : supportedMozillaVersion() { case "$*" in *rv:1.*) return 0;; *rv:.*) return 0;; *rv:*) return 1;; Mozilla\ 1.*) return 0;; Mozilla\ .*) return 0;; *) return 1;; esac } supportedFirefoxVersion() { case... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhag281
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator expected

Im trying to fix my /etc/weekly that rotates various logs however it does them no matter what filesize they are and i want them to only do it if there file size exceeds 2M or something. So I'm playing with a script to get the filesize using a ls -l command which works and puts the value into a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem unary operator expected

I get the following error ./get_NE05: line 42: while do echo ${STRING_NAME} J=1 if ; then EXT=0$I else EXT=$I fi while do echo $I-$J #calculating last occurrence OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: =: unary operator expected error

Why am I getting this error.... #!/bin/sh # iOS-Ad-Remover # Marshall Ford @ marshallbford@gmail.com # This project is hosted @ http://ios-ad- # remover.sourceforge.net # Under the GNU GPL open source license clear echo if ; then echo "You need to be root to run this script."; exit 0; #... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbf123
24 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator expected

i=0 while Shell script reports an error "unary operator expected" pointing the above line. $i by default is 0 and holds integer value and $buf is also holding integer value. Please can some one let me know what is missing. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

: unary operator expected

Hiya all, Why do I get a :unary operator expected when I try to put a condition statement in my shell script (sh) like so and how to fix? if ; then echo "say hello" else echo "don't say hello" fi ? It seems if the script receives an argument it works but if I don't put an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: -gt: unary operator expected

Hi I have problem with my script. I dont now why but i don't change anything and script stop working. this is my code: #!/bin/sh for i in `ps -A | grep pocron.sh | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` do COUNT=$((COUNT+1)) done ostatnie_wykonanie=`cat porader.log`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fotex
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unary operator expected

In all my Googling, this usually happens when someone is comparing a variable, and that variable is unset. That doesn't appear to be the case for me... #!/bin/bash -x while read line do f=$(echo $line | tr -s ' ' | cut -d' ' -f 3) echo $f if then echo "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies
SCSI_READCAP(8) 						     SG3_UTILS							   SCSI_READCAP(8)

NAME
scsi_readcap - do SCSI READ CAPACITY command on disks SYNOPSIS
scsi_readcap [--brief] [--help] [--long] [--verbose] DEVICE [DEVICE]* DESCRIPTION
This bash shell script calls the sg_readcap utility on each given DEVICE. This will send a SCSI READ CAPACITY command to each DEVICE. The default action of this script is to send the 10 byte cdb READ CAPACITY(10) command to each DEVICE. If a response indicates the number of blocks is greater than or equal to '2**32 - 1' then the READ CAPACITY(16) is sent and its response is output. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -b, --brief shortens the output to two hexadecimal numbers, both prefixed by '0x'. The first number is the number of blocks available and the second is the size of each blocks in bytes (e.g. '0x12a19eb0 0x200'). If an error is detected '0x0 0x0' is output and the script continues if there are more DEVICEs. -h, --help print out the usage message then exit. -l, --long the default is to send the READ CAPACITY(10) command (i.e. the 10 byte cdb variant). When this option is given the READ CAPACITY(16) command is sent. The latter command yields more information in its response. -v, --verbose increase level or verbosity. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of this script is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise the exit status is that of the last sg_readcap utility called. See the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHORS
Written by D. Gilbert COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_readcap (sg3_utils) sg3_utils-1.36 May 2013 SCSI_READCAP(8)