Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to run two commands from a exec call in a c program Post 302366733 by pludi on Friday 30th of October 2009 08:11:32 AM
Old 10-30-2009
I'd think about why it's necessary to run that program as setuid root, and if that couldn't be accomplished by other means (eg. sudo) or by using a different approach using as few privileges as possible.

IF that isn't possible, you could simulate the system() call by using fork() and wait() (warning: the following is pseudo-code)
Code:
function my_system(command)
    pid = fork()
    if pid == 0 // child
        exec(command)
    else
        wait for pid to exit

my_system(command1);
my_system(command2);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec. commands in python

How would i do if i'd want to execute a command in a python script or programme ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: J.P
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to restrict program exec and running

I'm on Freebsd 4.5 stable, havin question of that kind: I need to restrict programs running, like BitchX for example, which can be dowlnoaded by logged on user, and i cant set permissions to all users to prevent that program from executing. And ipfw doesnt help me because of i need to allow that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hachik
1 Replies

3. Programming

exec() system call

hi there, i was reading about the exec() function. and if i m not wrong, exec() kills your present process and starts a new process in its place. the process id remains the same. then it says if exec is successful the text data and stack are overlayed by new file! - i dont get this part "only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exec to call specific function in C prog

I would like to call a particular function in a C program using execl(). Is this possible using execl or anyother function ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
2 Replies

5. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement?

I can't get this to work. Running a single command works fine: find . -name "*.dat" -exec wc -l '{}' \; gives me the file name and number of lines in each .dat file in the directory. But what if I want to pipe commands, e.g. to grep something and get the number of lines with that pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

7. Programming

[C] exec system call

Hi again ;) Now I want to make a program that will execute the programs with exec, asking the user if he wants the program to run in background or foreground. scanf("%c",&caracter); if (caracter=='y'){ printf("Has decidido ejecutarlo en background\n"); if((pid=fork())==0) {// fork para... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Run multiple commands in invoked program

Hi, I have coded a program in Haskell using the compiler Hugs and the program requires multiple commands (with parameters) to be entered into it, it then outputs the result of its execution. I need to test a lot of different options (i.e. the parameters) so it would be obvious to automate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tz742
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run 2 exec commands

I have to create two instances of jBoss 5.1.0 GA. In order to do that I have to execute the following in start-jboss.sh: find . -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh -Djboss.service.binding.set=ports-01 -c IDMProv -b 0.0.0.0 \; -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joydeep Ghosh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD