Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting **HELP** need to split this line faster than cut-command Post 302366171 by daytripper1021 on Thursday 29th of October 2009 03:46:07 AM
Old 10-29-2009
MySQL

Wow thank you so much for your quick replies! I was able to shortern my shell script (removing cut commands) to use the following suggestion and it worked!

awk '{print substr($1,12,11)","substr($1,42,11)","substr($2,2,14)}' file

Thank you very much!

Btw, what's that mawk command? I can't find it on the man pages of my server (I guess it's not installed).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which is faster AWK or CUT

If I just wanted to get andred08 from the following ldap dn would I be best to use AWK or CUT? uid=andred08,ou=People,o=example,dc=com It doesn't make a difference if it's just one ldap search I am getting it from but when there's a couple of hundred people in the group that retruns all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dopple
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command faster in crontab..

Hi all you enlightened unix people, I've been trying to execute a perl script that contains the following line within backticks: `grep -f patternfile.txt otherfile.txt`;It takes normally 2 minutes to execute this command from the bash shell by hand. I noticed that when i run this command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silverlocket
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

On the command line using bash, how do you split a string by column?

Input: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9d929934b09cc7e8be890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qwlkjgre5ug8je7hlt488dkr0p I want the results to look like these, respectively: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9 d929934b 09cc7e8b e890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qw lkjgre5u g8je7hlt 488dkr0p Basically, keeping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command issue from a line of text

Hi, I got a line of text which has spaces in between and it is a long stream of characters. I want to extract the text from certain position. Below is the line and I want to take out 3 characters from 86 to 88 character position. In this line space is also a character. However when using cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Cut | command line args

Hi, Can you please hint me how to achieve the below? Input: $./script.sh start 1 2 Internally inside the script i want to set a single variable with $2 and $3 value? Output: CMD=$1 ARGS=$2 $3 --VInodh (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster way to use this awk command

awk "/May 23, 2012 /,0" /var/tmp/datafile the above command pulls out information in the datafile. the information it pulls is from the date specified to the end of the file. now, how can i make this faster if the datafile is huge? even if it wasn't huge, i feel there's a better/faster way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster Line by Line String/Date Comparison of 2 Files

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows a faster way to search and compare strings and dates from 2 files? I'm currently using "for loop" but seems sluggish as i have to cycle through 10 directories with 10 files each containing thousands of lines. Given: -10 directories -10 files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentgrecko
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command doesn't remove (^C) character from only first line

I have a file which has first 2 junk characters(X^C) at beginning of each line in file. When i run cut -c 2- filename it removes junk characters from all lines except on first line it keeps one junk character control C(^C). Not sure why it is not removing only from first line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
2 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)