Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing last character of string Post 302365466 by kinny on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 06:49:28 AM
Old 10-27-2009
Removing last character of string

Hi ,
I have a file with the following contents in file test1.txt .
Code:
AMY_MTT_240Y001,N60_PG2_10G001,A2H_P3H_10G002,7C7_7D7_NP1,A2E_PV0_10G002,L78_PG1_64S001,A2H_P2M_NP2,LDN_YSN_64S001,WV6_WYV_64
S801,LY9_PV0_64S-R2052P,L78_PV0_64S-R2042,L78_PYE_64S-R2080,GVV_NW8_64S002,LY9_PV0_64S-UPNE1,DIS_MTP_DL72INTL,PVU_WV6_10G002,
DQE_NYY_NP6,2CS_LDN_NP1,C8L_LDN_NP1,2CS_LDN_NP2,2CS_LDN_NP3,D4O_LDN_NP1,AEQ_FR1_10G001,LDP_LE0_DL75INTL,A2H_P3H_NP2,A2H_P2M_N
P1,KS9_LDN_NP1,8BV_LDP_DL71INTL,AGA_FVP_DL71INTL,KSE_LDN_NP3,8MV_FVP_DL71INTL,8BV_FVP_DL71INTL,FV0_MTT_30N301

I want to display only those names that have "_DL" in them.

I came up with the following command:

Code:
 cat test1.txt | tr "," "\n" | grep -i _DL | tr '\n' ","

Problem with this is there is a trailing comma. I am unable to replace the trailing comma with sed or cut or head .Can anyone suggest an alternative or how to replace the trailing comma. The following is the sed i used that failed in this case
Code:
sed 's/.$//'

Thanks in advance folks

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-27-2009 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M character in VI

Hello, I am attempting to remove all the ^M characters in a file in VI. The command I am using is :1,$s/^V^M//g but it doesn't work, saying 'substitute pattern match failed'. Any ideas why? Jules (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julesinbath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing first character in a string

While writing a shell script i happen to store some value in a string. Lets say the value is 59788. Now in this script i want to get the value 9788 removing the first charater 5. The original string length usually remains constant. Is there a single line command to do this or any simple way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character ' from a variable

Hello there, I have a variable in the form of '/example/file.txt' . I want to remove the ' characters from the beginning and the end so that the my new variable becomes /example/file.txt . How can I do it in a script? I know this is a fairly easy question, but i wasn't able to implement it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help removing a character from name

I have a file like this: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.104480 I need to remove the 1 after the . in the file name so that it reads: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.04480 Having some difficulty getting the command to work. I tried using cut -d 26 but that just doesn't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a character

I need to remove square brackets from output of script. Output is: and I need to remove the square brackets so I am lett with 121 Is sed the only means to do this and if so what are the options? ...ok so far I have managed to get rid of ] by using /usr/bin/sed 's/]//' but that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing last character

Hi, I have a file that has data something like below: A B C D ..... ...... .....and so on I am trying to bring it in one line with comma delimited something like below : A,B,C,D I tried the something below in the code section: cat File.txt | tr '\n' ',' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Removing an 8 character string

Edit: Figured it out. Close the thread please. Solution: \{8}\] edit by bakunin: no need to close the thread, but i changed the title to SOLVED. Thanks for writing a follow-up. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknownn
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)