Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting exclude characters in echo command please help Post 302365194 by fpmurphy on Monday 26th of October 2009 09:35:35 AM
Old 10-26-2009
No need to use sed
Code:
echo ${a:16} "${RESULT}" >> results_data_srcip

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo password characters

Hi All, I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix? In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password. So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukluk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and sed, how to exclude certain characters

Hello everyone: I have ran into this a few times now where my skills are just not up to snuff when it comes to Unix. So, I came here to find some beard stroking Unix wizard to help me. Basically, I am using OS X 10.5 in large scale at work and sometimes I have to run some custom reports. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with exclude

I had a Shell script that removes the files that are in a directory older than the specified days. find /test/files -mtime +10 I would like to add another condition to the find command above that is to exclude any file starting with ‘CGU' Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: db2dbac
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo is replacing characters

Hi All, I'm using KSH and am writing a small script that counts the lines of various files in several folders under one root folder. Below is the script: #!/usr/bin/ksh common_path_in="/interface_in/rsc" file_out="/interface_in/rsc/record_count.csv" tot_rec_count=-1 act_rec_count=-1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with tar exclude command

i have issue with tar, let me explain when i run below command it works perfectly as usual. tar -cvf /tmp/temp.tar --exclude="exclusion expression" dir my requirement is --exclude="exclusion expression" will come from another variable. so when i execute below command: tar -cvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
2 Replies

6. AIX

Exclude Directories in my tar command

Hi, im having some issues after i execute the next command: tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz this creates the desired "test.tar.gz" file, but whe i try to open it it says "tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Exclude Directory in find command

How can i tweak the below find command to exclude directory/s -> "/tmp/logs" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.jar*" \) -printNote: -path option/argument does not work with the version of find that i have. bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @!#$&*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @#!$*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies
stopping(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       stopping(7)

NAME
stopping - event signalling that a job is stopping SYNOPSIS
stopping JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The stopping event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job begins stopping. The JOB environment variable con- tains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. If the job is stopping normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job is stopping because it has failed it will be failed. When the job has failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable. This may be pre-start, post-start, main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job is stopping because it hit the respawn limit. Finally in the case of a failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop. Either EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received. The normal exit job configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see init(5) for more information. If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed to spawn (for example, file not found). See the system logs for the error. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue stopping. This allows jobs to depend on other jobs, safely stopping themselves before their dependency goes away. This event is typically combined with the started(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopping event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to depend on another service might use: start on started apache stop on stopping apache A task that must be run before another task or service is stopped might use: start on stopping postgresql RESULT=ok SEE ALSO
starting(7) started(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 stopping(7)